Noise coming from rear after tire rotation? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise coming from rear after tire rotation?

john_7711

Reaction score
City, State
Euclid, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT Sport
Okay, here's the scoop:

Bought our 2005 Explorer 4x4 in February. Two weeks ago, we were due for our first oil change so while we were at it, we had the tires rotated too since I didn't feel like doing it myself. Well, we've noticed that since that day, there's been a noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear of the vehicle. It only seems to be noticeable at highway speeds. The noise is kinda hard to describe. It's like a howling/humming sound I guess you could say.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is it possible that after rotating the tires, the treads on one or more of the tires is uneven or something and that could be causing some kind of unusual road noise or something? And then maybe after a few hundred miles or so it'll wear down to the point that the noise will go away? Or would this be more likely a mechanical issue of some strange kind?

I appreciate any insight anyone may have with this topic.

Interesting. Thanks for that insight. I didn't know about that recall. The only one I was aware of had something to do with the headlights.

did you adjust your tire pressure. Shops like to spec every vehicle regardless how big or small to 30lbs. I don't know if it would make your tires howl. Maybe your front tires where feathered a bit and that is what your hearing. I have my tires inflated to 38 when warmed and driven for a bit.(summer pressure so I don't over inflate).

Back