Noise/Rough Idle start after hot day. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise/Rough Idle start after hot day.

westcovinajoe

Reaction score
City, State
West Covina, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
Hey there.

My 92 explorer has really been doing well thanks to all of you on here.

Then the weather decides to be 100 degrees today and I had to take the wife to the Doctor on a pretty steep hill. It seemed to struggle a bit, and as we started on the decline of the hill I noticed the engine went from cool to warm(N to R) right away.

I droppped her off and parked and then after 30 minutes we started it up again, but it idled roughly. The tachometer is usually real still, but now it was jumpy and lumbering from 1000 - 1600 on idle at Park. I opened the hood and it stopped after about 30 seconds.

We carefully drove her home avoiding hills and high speed. It seems okay, maybe a litle more noise from the engine, like more wind or "whoosh" noise on acceleration.

All the fluids are okay, no burning smells, except for maybe a little sulphur once in a while.

The radiator could use a coolant flush.

Any and all thoughts are welcome: we are students on a disability budget.

THANKS!

Joe.

Sounds like it could be the IAC. I suggest cleaning it. Also, check all the vacuum lines on the vacuum tree located on the drivers side of the engine back by the firewall. I don't think either of these explain the rise in temp. Maybe the Tstat or fan clutch. Tstat is normal maintenance, so maybe start with that. Make sure you get the O-ring as not all Tstat include it.

Thanks for the reply.

After testing it out a bit, it seems like it is back to "normal."

However, when I drove it around during a hot afternoon again, it was a little weird.

This time when I re-started it (after driving around for 30 minutes and leaving it sit for 10), it acted jumpy again. This time when I pressed the gas the battery indicator would register a loss of power and the car acted like it had a drain on it.

After a minute of idling it stopped, and went back to normal and it has been fine today.

Sorry to be so confusing, but this is what is going on and I am so freakin' broke.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Back