Noise underhood | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise underhood

Reaction score
City, State
Killeen, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 3 Door 4.0 SOHC
Have had a loud constant squeal coming from the engine for a few days. No affect on acceleration or AC on or off. Checked the forum and I think it might be the idle air control valve. Pulled it off and am getting ready to try cleaning it.

First question is B-12 chemtool acceptable to use to try cleaning this? Wife took the other car so I have a little time to get an answer. I know most people say they use electrical cleaner.

Second question is while I was under there I lubed up the hood struts with WD-40 and sprayed on whatever the power steering fluid fill is in regards to the engine belt. And the whine stopped for a second then resumed. Not sure if your even suppose to spray that, pretty new to fixing cars, but I thought I would give it a shot. Can anyone tell me exactly what part this is, im assuming something to do with power steering. So hopefully I can isolate the problem better if cleaning the IACV doesn't help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cleaned the idle air control valve, was pretty clean for having 160k. Used some Mass Airflow sensor cleaner. Wasn't sure if the B-12 chemtool would be to harsh. Squeal is still there now though.

Hit the throttle body and now the squeal gets louder as I rev the engine, so I am lead back to believe it has something to do with the power steering pump as that is where it is the loudest. Might replace the belt, however after reading through some previous posts not sure if that will fix it. Might just be a bearing in the P/S pump.

Any ideas?

Spoke to soon I suppose, after idling it for a while preparing it for Seafoam the squeal slowly went away. Its there a little bit, however not nearly as bad as before. And my seafoam treatment sadly went without any of the smoke screen I have heard of. Only did it through the T/B and cleaned the front plate on the T/B, not in the mood to take off and fully clean the T/B, only thing I relieved was a hesitation in start up.

The squeal has returned, but is much less noticeable now. Seafoam worked great, can really feel a difference, just no white smoke for me. I did notice that my fan has a lot of side to side movement. Seemingly more then would be acceptable. I know the X was crashed in the front by prior owner and a "friend" repaired it for free. It has had numerous problems since then.

What is the acceptable amount of side to side movement? I would say there is an inch of movement. And by side to side movement I mean towards and away from the front of the radiator. Which also seems to be leaking, from right under the cap. I replaced the cap twice so I don't know if it is directly related.

Any help at all?

Check your idler pulley and the belt tensioner. Do this by removing the belt andrunning the motor a little.

Good luck ....

power steering is squealing,, hmmm, might be a bad bearing in the pump,,
is the level in the ps up to the line , or low, mine does that too, but i have a leak in the rack, just not changing it yet , too cold out,,

The fluid is good, was a little low so I decided to add a little Lucas power steering mix. I think thats about the time the noise came about, not sure if they could be related. I'm going to remove the belt tomorrow like Al recommends and see where that takes me. Kind of afraid to poke around though, everytime I fix something, I find something new wrong.

I need to sign into Ft. Hood so I can use the auto bays, just hope I don't end up being deployed here soon. Hate having to leave the family again.

Putting belt dressing spray on a serpintine belt is a waste of time/money. Remove belt completely and see if noise disappears. If all is quiet then reinstall belt and use a stethoscope to trace noise source. Pay close attention to belt age and condition as well as auto belt tensioner function.
Some brand belts don't live up to there spec's so buy a good named brand if you replace belt and make darn sure every pulley is in alignment.

Similar situation

So apparently my ford manual says my 2001 explorer sport requires 5 qts of oil. After adding 5 qts I checked the oil dip stick and noticed it was way too much oil. (I did just purchase the truck with 160,000 miles and am not sure what kind of maintenance was performed. Although truck was running great until the cold weather came.) Approx 1 quart too much. I ran it for less than 20 miles before draining a full quart to bring the level Down to full mark. Since then my engine started to squeal. Now the engine squeals while accelerating. It tends to quiet down at around 2k in 2nd or 3rd gear and almost non existent while idle at a light. Any higher or lower the engine squeals. I did remove and clean the IAC, due to engine stall while engine warming up.

Any thoughts on what I can do to remedy my situation. I'm trying resolve this situation without visiting an auto mechanic.

Back