Not a glowing report on the 2022 Ex. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not a glowing report on the 2022 Ex.

I'm the first to ***** about some poorly engineered issues with the Explorer, how about that wireless charger design?

But IMHO CR is an outdated unreliable source of info due to the fact the average reviewer there is a 60 yr old grumpy old man who, if he didn't get his metamucil in the morning is so constipated he can't think rationally.

They suggest the transmission is the big issue?....as many here have said that type of shifting is subjective, good for some, poor for others. Software or a battery pull fixes that but no mention of this remedy from CR. Early trans programming in 2020 had some issues yes, then Ford made some software improvements and the issues were resolved. I bought the ST because at WOT I want hard crisp shifts, not creamy soft old man slushbox shifts from the 2000's.

CR biases are well documented all over the internet.

They prefer imports over domestics, it's no secret, they love Toyota, Toyota makes some of the most outdated (ugliest imho) product available today. How about the interior on the 4Runner, straight from 2007. Ever drive a new 4Runner?....I call it the teeter totter, because it bounces back and forth on every bump due to the poor suspension design compared to the Explorer. Never here about that from CR.

I gave up on CR years ago when they were proven to be biased, lots of other really good vehicle reviews out there that are reasonably unbiased.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen where CR reports quite often mirror those of JD Power. A lot of the input comes from consumers themselves.

Peter

I do not know how many times it has to be said. If your transmission has shifting issues then un hook your battery for 15ish minutes then hook it back up. Then drive your vehicle... don't just put around.
There is actually a TSB out on Harsh Shifting on the 2020 so it isn't always just as simple as a negative cable disconnect/connect.

Peter

Just wanted to add that in lieu of disconnecting your battery, try Forscan service procedure: PCM reset all adaptations.
I do it with Forscan Lite iOS and OBDLink MX+ so it's easy peasy. I highly recommend this setup because it's easy to pull codes too.

I'm the first to ***** about some poorly engineered issues with the Explorer, how about that wireless charger design?

But IMHO CR is an outdated unreliable source of info due to the fact the average reviewer there is a 60 yr old grumpy old man who, if he didn't get his metamucil in the morning is so constipated he can't think rationally.

They suggest the transmission is the big issue?....as many here have said that type of shifting is subjective, good for some, poor for others. Software or a battery pull fixes that but no mention of this remedy from CR. Early trans programming in 2020 had some issues yes, then Ford made some software improvements and the issues were resolved. I bought the ST because at WOT I want hard crisp shifts, not creamy soft old man slushbox shifts from the 2000's.

They prefer imports over domestics, it's no secret, they love Toyota, Toyota makes some of the most outdated (ugliest imho) product available today. How about the interior on the 4Runner, straight from 2007. Ever drive a new 4Runner?....I call it the teeter totter, because it bounces back and forth on every bump due to the poor suspension design compared to the Explorer. Never here about that from CR.

I gave up on CR years ago when they were proven to be biased, lots of other really good vehicle reviews out there that are reasonably unbiased.
Agree, the transmission is the last thing I have had trouble with. HA.

I you want harsh come take a ride with me as I jam through the gears of a manual when I shift fast enough that I don't even let off the gas...

Well...... I'm a grumpy 60-somthing curmudgeon, but I like our 2020 Explorer and have had no problems with it. I subscribed to CR before you were a smile on your dads face, and cancelled it. I don't trust them either, junior.

I have the Explorer and an 2019 F-150 10 speed. Both transmissions have been smooth so far. However all the complaints here and on the F-150 forum about the transmission make me wonder why Ford cannot or will not solve the issue so many folks are having. My wife had a 2012 Focus with the manual/automatic with the strange shifting. It would shudder between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Was a problem for the entire production run of this model Focus. Her Focus was recalled for new programming multiple times. Reprogramming would help for awhile, then back to the same shudder. Really annoying and it hurt sales and quality ratings for the Focus. Never failed, just not a pleasing drive. Her nephew has it now and it has over 250,000 miles without failure. But, it was just not what one recommend to anyone.

I just find it hard to believe Ford cannot solve the problem on the 10 speed shifting issues. Killing Explorer sales.
Has a '02 Focus bought from the local Ford dealer with 10k miles on it. They stated it had no issues & was dealer serviced etc. Then the fuel gauge stopped working about 6 months after we got it. Was at the service dept & asked the gal to run the VIN. Discovered they had replaced the transmission just before we bought the car.. & twice before that. First trans lasted 57 miles, the second one lasted about 400 miles & the third one made it all the way to around 9700 miles.
Words were said, Ford corporate got involved & they ended up buying it back. At the end of it we were only out the money we'd spent on gas while we owned it.
That dealer had a 2star rating, recently they sold out & were renamed, now they have a one star rating. Didn't buy the ST there.

I have one of the first built 2020's with 35k miles on it. Most people would have probably pushed Ford to buy mine back a long time ago. But I have stuck through it, and with lots of software updates I feel like it's pretty decent these days. My transmission is not the smoothest thing in the world, and it's not because it "sporty" or "aggressive". It has poor cold behavior, which gets better as the transmission warms up. It doesn't have the feeling that it is going to fail, just that the trans programming is not done well. As others have mentioned, Chevy seems to have refined their transmission software, while Ford seems to be struggling. And the transmission was jointly developed between Chevy and Ford. So the fundamental difference is in the software.

Overall, I really like the look and the feel of this vehicle. It suits my needs, and it gets 30mpg on trips. For the price though, it should be more refined.

Just to make a bold statement Ford has not made a decent explorer since 2010. Ever since they went to a front wheel drive drivetrain essentially the vehicle has been crap.

Just to make a bold statement Ford has not made a decent explorer since 2010. Ever since they went to a front wheel drive drivetrain essentially the vehicle has been crap.
“Just to make a stupid statement”

don't get me wrong, toyota makes excellent cars that aren't really up to date with the most recent tech but they are super reliable... however i hate CR, they have no idea what they're talking about really ever lol

don't get me wrong, toyota makes excellent cars that aren't really up to date with the most recent tech but they are super reliable... however i hate CR, they have no idea what they're talking about really ever lol
I agree on the Toyota part but CR gets a lot of its info from consumer surveys. I get them regularly on all kinds of topics.

Peter

So you like the 2020+ Explorers? I like the RWD bias in the new ones.

I remember back in the 90s, my dad cancelled his CR subscription after reading an article comparing 10 small cars. The Toyota Corolla got great reviews but the Geo Prism oh so bad!

They were the same car made in the same factories. “Does CR believe that the workers in the engine plant are like ‘oh Uichi, this one’s going to a Geo, grab one of the bad connecting rods and put it in!’?” No, CR was and is, where cars are concerned, a worthless rag.

Bought a new 20. It turned into a lemon quickly. They could not fix it because “we’re waiting on the parts” for a year. For a damn motor mount! Meanwhile my motor is slamming the floor with every throttle torque for a year! Someone at quality control let motor mounts out that were not tightened to spec…. Then got a 21 after they took back my 20 (feel sorry for the sap who was resold my 20) Mechanically it’s (2021) been a smooth deal. Dumb interior issues now like one rear seat won’t flip down, rattles & noises. But definitly noticed a little better improvement than the 20. Will I buy another Ford again? No way. They were VERY difficult to deal with for a clear lemon issue. Only grabbed another ST (with same exact specs at first one - Black street) cause I could and the market and/or inventory at the time (and still) of just about everything was at it’s worst point to shop around. That said, this ‘21 is a lot of fun as a daily driver. But that can and will rub off as quality issues show up, and they will. There just some real cheaply made parts all over the thing like (rattling windows, poor plastic molded parts, trim that falls off easy, gas door slides off easy, could go on, etc..). All this ‘cheap’ stuff is going to age real fast. Compare to say the interior of an Ram truck (have one), which is solid quality. All IMO.

Hold them accountable if you got a crappy one. They like to try and squeak by and or look the other way. I had to fight hard to get resolution and it cost me in the end. I did a ton of research and couldn’t believe some stuff I read about the factory where mine came from. Such as factions of workers not getting along therefore quality not a care , etc.. There’s some seriously sketchy reports out there if you look. I work in manufacturing and if there’s issues like that in a plant, the product suffers big time… if it’s true?

As an owner who has never really had issues with my vehicles except for recalls and TSBs, I don't understand why some people get a vehicle not with 1 or 2 issues but a whole raft of them. Perhaps my turn is coming. :eek:

Peter

As an owner who has never really had issues with my vehicles except for recalls and TSBs, I don't understand why some people get a vehicle not with 1 or 2 issues but a whole raft of them. Perhaps my turn is coming. :eek:

Peter
Because its a textbook example of having a manufacturing process out of control. CAP needs to be shut down. Quality and consistency would drastically improve if they were made anywhere but Chicago. Hell even Mexico would be an improvement.

It is debateble whether 2021 or even 2022s are better than MY2020. Sure there were some kinks to work out with an all-new Explorer but I would argue pandemic Explorers suffer from supply chain issues, cost cutting, and shoddy assemby from problematic staffing and people being plugged into the line where they aren't normally. I wouldn't trade my 6/2019 build for any of the newer builds, especially since updating a number of module calibrations about a year ago. It's free of noises, blue screens, or any other annoyances. So reliable, i passed on an ESP and am past my bumper to bumper now. Despite what the mainstream press thinks, I love the ride quality of my ST.

I hate to say it but the Chicago Assembly Plant (CAP) had some significant employee issues in 2020, these issues were tied to things happening in the news and political issues that unfortunately reared their ugly head especially with the CAP employees who built Explorers on the same production line as the PIU's. Those issues still linger but Plant Management is aware and put extra QC in place. Early 2020 Explorer builds had significant issues. The 2021's and 2022's have most of the issues worked out, not all but most.

I had wind noise on rear pass door, Dealership couldn't figure it out, so I taped off every piece of trim and kept removing one at a time until noise came back. Turned out to be torn belt line molding and 1/4 window molding between it and the main slider window was not tight so 1/4 window was replaced and wind noise gone. Other then SYNC3 and a poorly designed wireless charger the ST is a great vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to say it but the Chicago Assembly Plant (CAP) had some significant employee issues in 2020, these issues were tied to things happening in the news and political issues that unfortunately reared their ugly head especially with the CAP employees who built Explorers on the same production line as the PIU's. Those issues still linger but Plant Management is aware and put extra QC in place. Early 2020 Explorer builds had significant issues. The 2021's and 2022's have most of the issues worked out, not all but most.

I had wind noise on rear pass door, Dealership couldn't figure it out, so I taped off every piece of trim and kept removing one at a time until noise came back. Turned out to be torn belt line molding and 1/4 window molding between it and the main slider window was not tight so 1/4 window was replaced and wind noise gone. Other then SYNC3 and a poorly designed wireless charger the ST is a great vehicle.
We have had 4 brand new vehicles from CAP. 2013 Explorer Sport, 2016 Explorer Platinum, 2020 Lincoln Aviator, 2022 Lincoln Aviator. All 4 of them had issues that should have prevented them from leaving the factory yet they all did.

2013-torn headrest and several paint defects.
2016 Half of the rear gate was un painted.
2020 litterly pieces taped into place with masking tape over all the missing fasteners.
2022 front body panels put together so poorly 1 week in the body shop still couldn't fix it and now it has to go back for Lincoln to send a Field Engineer out to try and fix it.

CAP has always had quality control issues. I have expressed this to Ford/Lincoln along with this is the last vehicle we buy that comes from that plant. And for reference my latest body panels issue is not the only Aviator this body shop has had to fix. Mine just happened to be the worse.

So I do not buy the whole COVID/Pandemic excuse. That plant has put out sub par work for years.

Back