• Register Today It's free!

Not another 4wd blinking question

FordExplrer

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer
New to the forum but I have been searching for a while and cant find any help.

I have a 95 Explorer XLT with contral trac. The 4wd auto/4wd lo lights blink. But NOT 5 or 6 times every two mins. They will just flash constantly for several mins and then it may stop and then come up again. When this happens if i roll down my windows the windows pause every time the lights blink and then roll down some more, so the windows move in a jerky motion. If I open the door the dome lights blink in succession with the 4wd drive lights. I can hear the relay under the dash clicking away and it controls the dome lights, 4wd light indicator, and windows.

I have replaced the relay twice and it still happens. Sometimes pulling the postive battery terminal would keep it away for several trips but it always comes back.

I have replaced the rear drive shaft HALL sensor on the transfer case and the speed sensor on the transfer case. The front drive shaft sensor had a wire exposed so I cleaned it up and taped it so it didnt short.

I need help! what is causing the relay to go bonkers!?

I would start by pulling the extended codes using ForScan. This will give you all trouble codes by module, not just the OBDII codes.

That said, my vehicle has a few 4WD related codes, even though everything seems to work at the moment.

Back