not the famous 4wd problem please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

not the famous 4wd problem please help

victorv613

Reaction score
City, State
bayshore, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt
Hey guys I to am having the famous 4wd issue but mine is a little different. 02 ford explorer xlt. Last year I lost my 4wd and had the blinking light of death. Fortunately it was near summer so i let it be. A month later i replaced the battery and the light stopped blinking. I turned the key to on but engine off and saw 4wd lo and when started saw both lights so i assumed it was working. Well halfway on the beach i found out i was wrong lol. My problem is my lights on the dash do work and do not blink. If i switch to 4wd high I do not hear any relay click but the light does state 4wd high. If I switch it to low i do hear a click and it states on the dash 4wd lo. Problem is there is no 4wd. I got a chance to go to the encoder motor and it moves to the correct positions with buttons pressed. Took the car to a shop and no codes but all the data said it was working. could this still be my module and are you suppose to hear a relay click in 4wd high? Thanks everyone

Update: I did the battery reset procedure and after i heard it click into 4wd lo at the transfer case and a second click at the transfer case when put in high but still no 4wd this blows lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it's your 4x4cm.

I believe it's your 4x4cm.

Thanks for the info, I want to try replacing it but since i have all the light working its making me hesitant. I mean if I slip on ice the auto 4wd even comes on but i still continue slipping. I heard there is a wire that breaks for the clutch in the harness at the transfer case but i am not sure which one to look for. Well I am gonna repost this in the transmission section and see if i get some more suggestions. Thanks again

When it goes into "4x4 Low", do you feel that you are in the low gear even with 2wd, or are you still in the high gear?

i feel like its in a low gear. it definently wines like i am in a low gear but even then the front wheels are not doing anything. i got stuck in snow switched to 4w lo to get out and it did nothing but when i got out you could tell it was pretending to be in lo

Back