Now comes the question of what to have done...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Now comes the question of what to have done...?

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Ok, so I thought that my output shaft on my t-case was blown because my t-case was leaking a lot of fluid. So I drain and flush my t-case and it has not leaked at all since then, should I still have the output shaft seal fixed still? Its either that or have my plugs and wires changed (which I think are original and shes at almost 180,000)..

What do you guys think?

drained and flushed? How do you flush a t case?

If draining the t case and adding new fluid stopped the leak, then the leak was likely from the drain plug?

if its not leaking do not have a non leaking leak fixed

I think at 180K miles you should have new spark plugs and wires installed, get the correct Motocraft or Autolite plugs for your engine and gap them properly.
180K=
how is the belt?
is the fan cracked?
flush cooling system
new fuel filter
transmission fluid/filter
lube the d shaft slip yoke
check the front end IFS for worn parts
drain/fill the rear differential

Oh so much more but those are a good start

FYI is those were the stock plugs I doubt it would still run

FYI is those were the stock plugs I doubt it would still run

good luck getting them out without snapping them off too.

Also the idler pulley should be changed.

good luck getting them out without snapping them off too.

Also the idler pulley should be changed.

Thats what the guy at the dealership said, he said it wouldnt be much unless he snaps one.

Anyways, what I mean by flush was I drained it, added fluid that flushed out some of the old, put the plug back in and filled it with fluid.

Anyways that seems to have fixed the problem. I have changed the idler pulley, but I need to swap out the belt tensioner. The belt itself is fine, I have also done regular coolant changes and tranny services fuel filter replacements, etc.

Back