• Register Today It's free!

nubee.. code P0304 #4 miss fire..

jonny300000

Reaction score
City, State
watertown wi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
:mad: 2000 explorer exl 4.0 ( i dont have the over head cam). its running crappy. miss at idle. runs crappy driving also. checked for vaccum leaks with carb clean. found none. did compression test all good! new coil pack. new plugs and new wires. checked firering order. even switched new plugs around thinking maybe a bad plug, but ran the same before the new parts? checked fuses. cleaned grounds and battery terminals. code was # 4 cly. miss fire.. any help would be awesome. i do have a snap on solaris scanner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A #4 misfire is fairly common on 4.0L OHV's. The intake manifold to head gaskets are notorious for vacuum leaks but they can also fail in a different way and leak a small amount of coolant into the intake runner causing misfire. This is almost always on cylinder #4, occasionally on #1.

A #4 misfire is fairly common on 4.0L OHV's. The intake manifold to head gaskets are notorious for vacuum leaks but they can also fail in a different way and leak a small amount of coolant into the intake runner causing misfire. This is almost always on cylinder #4, occasionally on #1.
so what your saying is i have an intake leak? antifreeze runs threw the intake? im not really up on this engine. so i should get a intake manifold gasket set? anything else i should need or do? this thing is bugging the crap out of me. thanks for all the input.

thanks for the fast reply too!

Did this fix your problem. I have been having the same problem for the past few months.

Possible O2 Sensor

Did this fix your problem. I have been having the same problem for the past few months.

Me too. Diagnostic shows P0153 O2 sensor intermittent failure, followed by the p0304 cylinder #4 and #6 misfires.

Could this be caused by the fuel mixture changing when the O2 sensor goes on/off?

Back