• Register Today It's free!

O/D light flashing

rick-nan

Reaction score
City, State
Zanesville,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Eddie Bauer
My 95 Eddie bauer O/D light is flashing . Pulled my neg on battery it went out. Came back on when i was on the freeway. Pulled neg again but i know it is not fixed. Checked all fuses. Rick checked the o/d button on shifter. I have read some post and they said something about a solenoid screen being clogged. Thanks nan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would get it checked out. When my O/D off light started flashing, my tranny went and we had to end up getting it rebuilt. So be on the lookout. Hopefully that's not what you have, maybe it's something minor. But it's the tranny's way of saying that something isn't right.

Especially if it's coming on that quickly after you pull the cable. Stop clearing the codes, you've got some issues...

Thanks

I am not going to pull the neg cable again . Want to take it to get codes read or by the tool. Were can i buy the tool and whats a good one.Rick hates to pay anyone. The code reader will come in handy since Rick plans on keeping his truck also for some time. I hope it isn't the tranny i got a great deal and it is in super shape. Besides I dig my truck. Nan

You have an EEC-IV system, so you don't need a special code reader or a scanner. You could jump the connection with a wire or a paper clip to put the computer into a diagnostic mode. This is one of the links in # 17 in my list of useful threads: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160035

When the OD light is blinking, you should notice the trans shifting harder since it goes into 'limp' mode. This is not good for the trans to drive it that way for an extended period of time.

Rick took a look at some posts- thanks guys He said the post were really helpfull. Yes it shifts hard when o/d light is on. Right now its not, got to go for a ride i know it will come back on. I hope i did't hurt my tranny to bad had to drive 60 miles to get back home with the light on. kept it under 1500 rpm though. I will never say "whats that idiot driving so slow on the freeway" now i can relate. Oh i know alot about cars just like to have some one to help me so i do not skrew it up. I wish the tranny was as small as the triumph i installed years ago (with help) nan

Mine did that on a lonngggg trip. On the way up to N. Florida from S. Florida, it started. We had no clue what it was, but we couldn't turn back. So we got to N. Florida fine (Tallahassee to be exact) then we had to go to East Georgia then back down to S. Florida. It made it, even with the O/D flashing.

We had to get the tranny rebuilt and a new torque converter. We also got a new shift kit put in it, I think (not sure on that one). Luckily my dad knew a guy and we got an awesome deal on it. But yeah, sounds exactly the same as what happened to mine (even the disconnecting the battery thing) and my truck is in great shape also.
So I don't think it will randomly quit on you, as mine made it across the state and then some, but it's definitely something you need to get looked at.

Back