Odd binding and grinding noises from the passenger side wheel well... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odd binding and grinding noises from the passenger side wheel well...

spartanic

Reaction score
I need some advice on my friends 1999 Ford Explorer.

Recently its been making some odd grinding and binding noises coming from the passenger side wheel well. I took the wheel off and there seems to be lots of movement on the hub. Brakes look good and operate fine. Other suspension parts surrounding it are not loose.

My assumption is that it could be a wheel bearing but thought I'd ask around first.

When replacing a wheel bearing is it required to replace both the fronts or can I just do the passenger side? I'm assuming that with the wheel bearing I'll have to buy a whole new hub that already includes the bearing. Correct?

Indeed, it's a hub, especially if there is movement in it. Relatively simple job for a shade-tree mechanic. On a 10-scale, with 1 being airing up tires and 10 being a tranny rebuild, I'd place it about a 3.5. Air tools help, but it can be easily done without them.

Yes very easy job, just make sure to remove your axle nut before jacking it up then when removing the back 3 bolts you can push the axle in some to have more room to get the whole socket on the bolt. Its not necessary to replace both hub assemblies at the same time but normally once one goes its not too much longer before the other one goes. We have a vendor here that offers two hub assemblies for under $200.00 which is a great deal compared to what you'll pay for one from a local auto parts store.

Back