• Register Today It's free!

Odd noise under hard braking

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
When I brake under normal conditions, everything is fine. And no noise under regular driving. However, under heavy braking or trying to make a quick stop, I just started hearing a sort of muffled grinding/rubbing/clicking type noise come from the front end. I think I'm getting a small amount of feedback in the brake pedal but not sure and I don't want to test this noise out very often!!
Anyhow, any ideas or has anyone had this happen?
My concern is that it's the possible beginnings of a worn wheel bearing problem causing a autohub to rub or "almost engage" on it own under braking? Am I out to left field on this?
Thanks for the input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first thing I would do is pull the wheels and make sure theres plenty of pad left on both pads on each tire, sometimes the pins can get stuck and cause problems. check that the rotors are in good shape and not excessively worn or warped at all.

also check the drums in the back, make sure the shoes and drums are all in decent shape

lots of pad left on the front. rotors are a bit rough, but no worse then before. Back brakes need to be done, but the noise is definately coming from the front.

I have this same problem on my 93 Eddie Bauer. I believe it is a problem with the antilock brake system.

My XLT only has rear wheel ABS though. Front are regular disc brakes.

I get a bit of a rrreeeerrrrr sound sometimes when I brake... not really grinding sounding... but I'm pretty sure its from the ABS also...

mine sounds like a rubbing/vibrating noise of a hub not quite engaging.

Sounds normal to me. The pads have more pressure on them when you step hard on the brakes, this causes noise.
I have power slots & ceramic pads & here them when I am hard on the brakes. Normal driving they are quiet.

Okay...well, much to my thinking, it was an auto hub problem!! The noise was getting progressively worse under braking, so I decided to put it into 4x4 to see what happens with this noise. I put 'er in 4x4, it locks fine and I had 4 wheel drive, and no sound under hard braking. However, when I took it out of 4x4, the one hub wouldn't disengage. So when I started driving, I heard a buzzing once I got up to around 50KM/h. So I had one engaged and one free. My poor front diff prolly took a beating from me driving it home like that. Anyhow, got home, took off the wheel and looked at the hub, was worn down (this was one that I had rebuilt). So, I had one spare left and put it on, and it engages and disengages properly again!!
Needless to say, it was my last spare auto hub, once the next one goes, it'll be on to manuals!!

Back