• Register Today It's free!

Odd rough idle

05explorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
My 2005 explorer 4.0 (drive by wire) has a rough idle (88K miles). The idle feels smooth one second and gets rough the next second. It does this over and over and doesn't matter if your parked or stopped while in gear.

I have cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body and it didn't fix the problem.

Lately the transmission has started to hesitate before going into gear when putting it in reverse. It also doesn't feel like it is shifting properly when driving. It will bump going into gear. Not sure if any of this is related to the idle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you might need to SEAFOAM it?? They also make a great product called Deep Creep that comes in a spray can if you take your air intake off and spray 3/4 of the can in to your TB while it running and then shut it off for 15 to 20 minutes it will loosen anything up in there and then when you start it up rev all the junk out just beware that it will smoke a little until everything is out ( i did this about 3 weeks ago and my neighbor thought my house or vehicle was on fire but smoothed the idle up, as far as your trannny might try and drop the pan change the filter and then replace the fluid you drained out and make sure to put the additive in that is recommended from the dealer.

Hope that helps

My brother's 04 just had a similar problem. Rough idle/vibration, no codes. Turned out to be the harmonic balancer.

While I haven't done anything to the truck since I made this post and the idle has gotten rougher. I can't believe their is no service engine soon light or anything.

Back