Odd starting issue on my 99 Sport with SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odd starting issue on my 99 Sport with SOHC

unpredictable1

Reaction score
City, State
AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 blazer lt
Here it is, it's an odd intermittent starting problem.

First time this happens, the wife drove it for 4 hours (all freeway) to her parents. Parked the truck, everything fine. Next day, goes out, won't start. It's cranking no problem but won't catch. Almost as if it's out of gas. (has a full tank)

Truck is left for a couple hours, it's cold out so she plugs the block heater in. (however it's not nearly as cold as the days this truck has seen). Starts right up after being left alone.

I get the truck back, and I continue to daily drive it. No issues. I'm thinking, maybe it was bad gas or something? Fast forward a month and I take it for the same 4 hour trip. Same thing, I park it, next morning it won't start. Leave it alone for a few hours plugged in, she starts. I continue to drive it without issue.

Now here's the twist, yesterday the X is parked in my heated garage. I go to start it, does the same thing but this time it eventually catches. (I stabbed the gas pedal a couple of time while cranking too)

Truck has a brand new battery.

Leaky injector? I can't smell gas when i walk into the garage...

Maybe today I'll pop the hood when I first go out there.

Could be sticky iac valve. When it won't start You would have to see if you have fuel pressure and spark. If no fuel pressure it is fuel pump, if no spark try unplugging the crankshaft position sensor and plugging it back in.

Back