off road oil pan mishap

DJRockit69

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 ex 5.0 swap 4406 swap
Hey everyone
Over this last weekend i was off roading and had something hit my oil pan and crack it. I did a temporary fix with J B weld. my explorer has a V8 with TT lift and a 4406 transfer case swap. I was wondering if anyone has some good tips or pointers on how to get the oil pan off as of right now I have both engine mounts unbolted and I am trying to lift the engine to make the room to get it out but I am stuck on the front main cap. The exhaust is unbolted and taken off. I just cant seem to get the few inches of clearance I need to completely get it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure the steering rack needs to come out unless you have a body lift which gives you more clearance in the trans tunnel to lift the engine up. Now if it was a 99+ steel pan you could probably wiggle it out.

yea thats what i figured and I have no idea how how to get the steering rack out

undo the rack , all the lines and steering shaft, than one of the inner tie rods,, it slides one way than the other on angles and comes out ,,

oh,, or both inners, and the side to side is easier,,

Do you need a special tool for the inner tie rod ends at all?

Hey guys I got the oil pan off thanks for the advice I had to take off the oil pump as well

Back