offset inlet muffler

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
I've been looking at tons of mufflers. I've kind of been turned onto the dynomax super turbo recently. It's supposed to be relatively quiet, its cheap(only 45 bucks), and stainless...(now I don't see where I saw this, maybe i've been looking at too many mufflers).

My concern is there is no dual inlet/single outlet like I need for bolt in application(unless this is a reversible muffler) . The only center to center is only 3" pipes. I plan to run stock 2.25". The one people seem to use is the offset inlet/center outlet. Part number 17731.

How do I install an offset inlet? Do i first use a Y pipe then a bent piece to meet up to the inlet, or is there an offset y pipe piece?

I'm on the fence about clamping it myself, or just having a shop weld it up for me because I off-road, and mud and water could find its way into a clamped system. I assume a shop would find a way to get the offset inlet to work on a SOHC, as others have it.

Thoughts?

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think Super Turbos are stainless. The Ultra Flo is stainless, but it is almost a straight through flowing muffler. I have one of those on my Paseo. Definately not a quiet muffler.

Maybe look at their VT mufflers. They are also stainless.

That must be why I thought the super turbo was stainless, because I was looking at the VT. Its cool but not sure about it. Its supposed to be quiet at cruise, but apparently its loud otherwise. Super turbo is supposed to be relatively quiet for an aftermarket muffler.

The Dynomax Superturbo is NOT stainless, but aluminized steel, with a lifetime warranty. (No corrosion after 2 years, no off road)
Most of their single in/out mufflers are reversible, with the exception of the VT. (See flow direction arrows on link)
They are one of the quietest performance mufflers available, and had the deepest tone and note I had heard for a 4.0 SOHC.
With my resonator left on, it almost sounded stock. Removing the resonator enhanced the loudness and tone immensely.
Try it for a trial run, Dynomax offers a 90 day "Safe & Sound" Risk Free Trial Offer. (See $50 installation labor credit)

90-Day Risk-Free Trial Offer
Try qualifying DynoMax® products* for 90 days. We guarantee you'll experience the DynoMax® performance difference! If, for any reason, the qualifying products* don't live up to your expectations within the first 90 days, replace the products and we will refund your original product's purchase price (which shall not exceed the manufacturer’s suggested retail price), plus labor (up to $50 per exhaust system). We're that confident you will be satisfied with DynoMax® performance products! For questions about this offer, please contact our customer service department at 734-384-7898.

http://www.dynomax.com/assets/2010catalog_pdf/2010_Dynomax_super_turbo_muffler.pdf

Thanks for the info. I think this is what I will go with. I'll stop up the shop monday to ask if I should order it, or if he will, and figure out which inlet/outlet to run with.

For now I will go with the stock pipes and resonator, but I may get the 2.5" in/outs and use reducers so that I can modify the system down the road.

Back