• Register Today It's free!

exhaust dia. @ muffler inlet 5.0.

JonnyK5

Reaction score
City, State
SOCAL
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' Mountie 5.0 AWD
!UPDATE! exhaust dia. @ muffler inlet 5.0.

im ordering parts to do a custom exhaust. anyone know the dia. of the muffler inlet? is it 2.5 or 2.25? gonna use a flowmaster 50 series suv with a 3" outlet. dont have the truck nearby to measure the pipe & i cant find the specs with the search feature. thanks.

UPDATE:
just went over to my local muffler shop. ive used him a few times , hes seems honest and has been in business for 20 yrs.

he said the 50series SUVs are too loud for an SUV, the interior resonance is pretty annoying. i told him i like loud exhaust he still said its too much on the freeway. he also said the dual in/single out design would be louder, and i'd get a better interior sound, cleaner exterior sound with a Ypipe into a single muff.

he suggested i go with a 70 series, with a y pipe before the muffler into single in/out 3" muffler, then 3" mandrel tailpipe. qouted me 300 OTD.

i can get the muffler for about 70bucks cheaper than he sells them, but i think he's giving me a deal on labor since he can make a lil money on the parts. probly would average out the same and i dont have to screw around ordering anything or haggling him on the labor .

anyone run the dual inlet 70 series on a v8? hows the interior sound?

does 300 sound fair for basically a custom catback?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

re

mine is two "in's", at 2-1/4. I also have the 50 series. i chose 3.0 out. youre gonna love the sound. its great !

thanks, i thought it was 2.25. did u have a shop fab up the tailpipe? if so, they use a pipe bender or pre bent madrel? i was also thinking of getting the gibson catback, mainly causs it comes w/ a new pipe. not too crazy about it being only 2.5 tho. anyone have a gibson. ive noticed they are kinda hit or miss AFA if they sound good. usually need a healthy V8 or they sound ricey.

stock is dual 2 1/4 in

i had dual 2 1/2 made from the cat flange to a dynomax ultraflow X muffler with dual 2 1/2 tail pipes and 4 inch tips.

The truck has a lot more pep to it at higher rpms. Its noticeable over stock. Torque is extremely close to the same as it was but I may have lost a little.

re:

i had a shop do a custom job. 3" out from the 50, to a Y, then it splits out to dual 2.5's, then out the back striaght to 3.5 inch slash cut tips. I'm not sure how they bent the pipes. I also have the spare in the cargo area with a cover. takes ups some room, but not too much...Obviously not true duals, but heck it looks cool haha.

ttt...update in orignal post

re :

The 50 series has some resonance. only around 55mph. at 60 - and up, it's got a real calm hum. I find it not too bad, but i suppose everyone has a different thought on how much is too much. I never go 55 haha. under or over. outside it really sounds right. I did have a MAC at one point, and a glasspack, they were unbearable.

i have heard the 70 series is much quieter, but i havent actually heard one.

300 bux sounds like a real bargain for custom exhaust

Back