Oil leak at start up in extreme cold. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak at start up in extreme cold.

BrianLJ

Reaction score
City, State
Ray, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer, XLT
2015 Explorer XLT, 3.5L V6, 25,000 miles. Mobil 1 5w-20 oil, Wix 57502XP oil filter. Started my explorer this morning in -15° weather, cranked slower than normal as expected but fired right up. Let it run in driveway for 15 minutes then left for work. When I returned home, I noticed a puddle of oil(yes, engine oil) about the size of a paper plate where I was parked overnight. I immediately checked the engine oil level, and it was at the full mark. I have never noticed any leaks in this vehicle before. I’m pretty sure this leak occurred at start up and not shut down from the previous evening.
No one else was in the driveway according to the wife and kids who were home from school.
Obviously I will put it on the hoist and check this out but I’m not sure when I can get to it.
Could it be a seal that leaks when extremely cold? I have a habit of snugging the oil filters pretty tight so I doubt that it came loose.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Any suggestions where to look?
Thanks in advance for all the input and suggestions.

*****UPDATE*****

Started it up this morning at -5 Degrees Fahrenheit, and oil was definitely dripping down the oil filter. I usually tighten the filter as absolute tight as I can by hand. I know the seal from the old filter was not left on as I am pretty diligent about checking that and cleaning the seal mating surface. I really couldn't reach it well enough to see if it was loose. Either way I will be replacing the filter this weekend as I just changed the oil around a 1,000 miles ago.
It was not leaking once the vehicle warmed up.
Hope this was just a freak occurrence. I have used Wix filters for 30+ years. I have always considered them a quality piece and have never had an issue previously.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seals shouldn't leak in cold weather or any other type of weather. It has been colder than that here the last few days and in the past and I haven't experienced any oil leaks. I don't change my own oil but I believe that an oil filter shouldn't be over tightened. If that was causing the leak, I'm guessing it should leak all the time. Also, idling for 15 minutes is not a good thing for the engine. It will warm up faster while being driven. Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks.

Peter

Sounds like a big leak. I’m guessing if it leaks in the cold, it’s gonna leak when it’s warm.

Is it possible the oil is the excess/remaining oil coming from when the old filter was removed? Dripping from the frame/pan???

Hopefully it isn't the PTU.

My thought as well, are you sure it isn't the PTU? I just had the seal replaced on mine and it is a 2015 as well.

Well you have a 5yr 60k powertrain so get it to the dealer for inspection.

Also, oil filters should only be hand tightened as tight as you can. Using oil filter straps to tighten will overtighten it.

Extreme cold can cause gaskets and seals to stiffen and lose their elasticity. In addition, the cold causes seals and gaskets to physically contract. Cold weather also causes motor oil to thicken and oil pressure to increase when viscous oil is pumped through small passages. I'd guess your oil filter's gasket is to blame for the oil leak you witnessed. It will probably stop leaking when the oil warms, gaskets and seals becomes more pliable, and oil becomes less viscous.

-20C is the norm over here during the winter and I haven't experienced any leaks of the sort.

Extreme cold can cause gaskets and seals to stiffen and lose their elasticity. In addition, the cold causes seals and gaskets to physically contract. Cold weather also causes motor oil to thicken and oil pressure to increase when viscous oil is pumped through small passages. I'd guess your oil filter's gasket is to blame for the oil leak you witnessed. It will probably stop leaking when the oil warms, gaskets and seals becomes more pliable, and oil becomes less viscous.

My thoughts are aligned with the above, in cold weather the rubber gasket attached to the oil filter will contract and when the engine warms up it would then expand stopping the oil leak. If the oil filter is not the problem, my second guess would be the PTU.

I’ve had vehicles parked in extreme cold (as well as lots of equipment with oil filters) and never seen one weep, let alone leak a substantial amount.

Back