Oil Leak from Oil Pan Gasket...(more) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Leak from Oil Pan Gasket...(more)

DewAddict

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Hi All,

I am 99% sure I have an oil leak coming from the oil pan gasket as I can rub the area where the pan meets the block and have oil all over my finger. I am thinking of changing it myself to save some bucks. I am wondering if the gasket is re-usuable or if I have to buy a new one. Some places tell me I need a new one, others say I have an upper and lower gasket. I am not sure what to buy. Also need to know how tight to torque the pan screws. When I sit at idle, I can smell the burning oil and its getting annoying so I want to change it.

I have a 2000 Sport 4WD 4.0 SOHC engine.

Thanks alot for your help,

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to get at least a Haynes Manual. The torquing sequence is very important along with the torque specs. Someone may post the info, I don't have it.

You say you smell burning oil? You may want to check your valve covers - if these are leaking, the oil runs down on the hot exhaust manifolds and burns.

People don't usually complain about burning oil smells with oil pan leaks......

80 inch lbs, just do them slowly in a criss cross manner

If you are smelling burning oil, that means that the problem is above the exhaust system (headers, engine pipe). Good idea to look at the valve covers for that problem which could be your ONLY problem since oil from above could easily drip down the engine and LOOK like it is coming from the pan. Look at the sides of the engine above the pan and the trail will tell. When tightening the pan bolts on a NEW gasket (You only really need one) tighten in a cross pattern as Spindlecone said, but do it in steps. Example: go around once tightening to 40 inch/lbs. Go round again tightening to 60. The one more time around tiightening to 80 inch/lbs, always in a criss-cross pattern. this will almost ensure that you will have no leaks.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I had it looked at by a mechanic shop where my bro worked a few months ago and they could not find any leaks coming from the covers or around the engine at all when it was on the hoist. I am not sure where its coming from, but it does have an odor that seems to be coming from the underside near the drivers door not as strong through the engine compartment.

Rob

Back