• Register Today It's free!

Oil pan gasket differences 93-94

Kesp4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I have two oil pan gaskets in front of me, both Fel-Pro. One is just plain rubber and fits into the crevice along the length of the oil pan's edge. It fits fine in my oil pan. For whatever reason I ordered another gasket that is part steel and part rubber. This particular gasket is for a 1994 (at least according to Rockauto). It doesn't fit the pan for my 93, and when I check rockauto this steel/rubber gasket is available under 94 Explorers but not for 93 explorers. I wouldn't have thought there would be a change like that between the two years but I guess I'm wrong. Is anyone familiar with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never seen that, but that doesn't mean anything. There should be no difference between a 93 and 94 oil pan. I looked up the Rockauto gasket and sure enough that's what it shows. Its been several years since I had my '94's engine apart, but I'm nearly certain it had the formed rubber one you mention, not the metal backed one.

The metal/rubber gasket doesn't fit so I'm going to attempt to return it and use the normal rubber gasket and just rtv everything when I button this engine back up. Wierd...

Makes me wonder if there is an industrial version of the Cologne V6 that has a steel oil pan. I've worked on a lot of equipment over the years, and have seen several Ford engines in industrial machines. I've never seen a Ford V6 used that way through. I'm really curious why they call for that gasket.

When you put yours together. Used the oil resistant RTV, usually black, at the corners of the rounded parts that go around the crank. As long as the rest is clean, it should seal up just fine.

Should I add RTV or would Indian Head work better? I've got a bunch of both. Also, should I add any extra around the edges of the pan around the rubber gasket or does it work better to not add any there? Is the plastic wedge thing just to help stick the rounded portion of gasket in? Thanks for the advice

Back