OK who's fixed their own emergency brakes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK who's fixed their own emergency brakes?

Sid Daley

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT Sohc
Found a couple relative threads but nothing really useful as far as tips or shortcuts that can make what appears to be a real PITA job a little less of a PITA job. I don't want to pull the axle.

97 X

Sid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you trying to fix??

Emergency brakes on a 97..

jayhawkexplorer said:
What are you trying to fix??

Whats wrong with them?

Sid Daley said:
Emergency brakes on a 97..

I realized that from the title. :rolleyes: I meant what about them is broken: the cables, the shoes, the pedal, what?

If it's a frozen cable, it's pretty straightforward to replace.

The pedal doesn't have any braking effect and when I had a look through the rubber adjuster plug in the back I seen a loose metal part. I'm assuming that I probably need to put in new shoes as these are probably original.

Sid

jayhawkexplorer said:
I realized that from the title. :rolleyes: I meant what about them is broken: the cables, the shoes, the pedal, what?

Jag said:

Thats normally the problem. I would also suggest disassambling the entire e-brake setup and cleaning it up and lubing it up.

Thanks but I'm pretty sure it's the shoes.

Thanks
Sid

Jag said:

Symptoms!?

For the extra few minutes it takes, it's more that worth it to pull the axles. Especially if you are due for a diff. service.

Sounds like pulling the axle may be beyond the scope of my backyard mechanical skills.

Sid

Eneurb said:
For the extra few minutes it takes, it's more that worth it to pull the axles. Especially if you are due for a diff. service.

I put the pedal to the metal and the e-brake doesn't even hold the truck, and when I looked through the tightener hole on the back of the drum their was a loose part in there.

Sid

IAmTodd said:
Symptoms!?

Get your rear wheels off and take apart the brakes so that you can take a look at the e brake shoes. They may just be worn out and need changing. Not that horrible of a repair, especially if you have a Haynes manual to help you out.

I don't have the Haynes, but I do have the Ford CD. I guess in the words of Nike "Just Do It"..

Thanks
Sid

jayhawkexplorer said:
Get your rear wheels off and take apart the brakes so that you can take a look at the e brake shoes. They may just be worn out and need changing. Not that horrible of a repair, especially if you have a Haynes manual to help you out.

Back