On board air / solenoid question

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
I'm going to be installing a Viair on board air system soon. It has a 2.5 gallon tank, but the place where I will be installing it will make it difficult to get to where the drain valve for the tank is when I want to let the water out.

My thought would be to use some type of 12v normally closed solenoid valve, like one from a nitrous kit. This would let me purge the tank remotely with the push of a button.

One concern is that the water/air/oil combo passing through it might lead to rust/sticking issues if the solenoid isn't designed for that. The other concern is that it needs to be strong enough to hold up to at least 200 PSI.

So, what say ye, experts? Any suggestions on a particular brand/model solenoid that might hold up better in this application?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Think I found a good candidate at McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com):

Part 5077T134:

12v Submersible stainless steel solenoid valve, 1/4" npt fitting size, max operating pressure 250 PSI, use with: air, water, inert gas, oil, ethylene glycol, and soap solutions.

75 bucks. Seems reasonable seeing as the big nitrous companies are asking double that and higher for some of their solenoids.

They do make automatic drain valves for compressor tanks. As I understand it, they open when the pressure drop really low (like 20psi). In other words, when you turn off the compressor and empty the tank.

If you wanna go cheap, and just can't reach the drain, replace the drain with one that has a pull type instead of twist type. Here is one I found on ebay that even comes with the cable.

$(KGrHqIOKkIE224q-BqNBN3(LC5v4!~~_1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-AIR-COMPRESSOR-TANK-MOISTURE-PULL-DRAIN-VALVE-/280684841347#ht_1775wt_941

~Mark

Edit: I found some more on McMaster-Carr...
4919k13 is the automatic kind I was talking about.
I also ran across some that have floats to know when to discharge.. Not sure how I like that.. Search for "Self-Activating Moisture Drain Valves".. at McMaster-Carr

thanks for posting those alternatives up, Mark. I'll look into all this and do a writeup when I figure out what I want to to do.

They do make automatic drain valves for compressor tanks. As I understand it, they open when the pressure drop really low (like 20psi). In other words, when you turn off the compressor and empty the tank.

If you wanna go cheap, and just can't reach the drain, replace the drain with one that has a pull type instead of twist type. Here is one I found on ebay that even comes with the cable.

$(KGrHqIOKkIE224q-BqNBN3(LC5v4!~~_1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-AIR-COMPRESSOR-TANK-MOISTURE-PULL-DRAIN-VALVE-/280684841347#ht_1775wt_941

~Mark

Edit: I found some more on McMaster-Carr...
4919k13 is the automatic kind I was talking about.
I also ran across some that have floats to know when to discharge.. Not sure how I like that.. Search for "Self-Activating Moisture Drain Valves".. at McMaster-Carr

Back