?? On Testing Hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

?? On Testing Hubs

coalkickin

Reaction score
I know I have posted a few times regarding this whole thing...I apologize for that. I am a bit confused though in regards to testing if my Auto hubs are locking. With the 93 Explorer in 2wd (4x4 disengaged) as I rotate the axle shaft...should I be able to rotate it freely or should it lock in? When I do put it in 4WD I can only rotate the axle shaft a bit, no more than one revolution. This would seem to make sense..indicating that the hubs should be locked in...correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...search for a thread by derocha on hub repair...;)

Yes I had already read what Derocha has written...I am just confused by the fact that when it is in 4x4 the axle shaft will NOT rotate, which would lead me to believe that they are engaged...although when 4x4 is not on, the axle shaft rotates freely. I am just confused I guess

...what you are answering with the drive shaft not turning is that the transfer case is engaged...you now can jack up the vehicle and see if the tires spin...if they lock in, the hub is working...if they don't, that is the hub with the problem...
...if 1 of the 2 hubs is not working, the vehicle is in 2wd and cannot transfer 4wd to the front wheels until both hubs are working properly and are locked in...i am not all up on the auto hubs but i hope this helps for the purpose you stated...:D

I find it easier to "see" if I jack up one front tire. Then spin the tire and see if it locks in or not. Or have both tires off the ground, and turn the driveshaft.

^^^and what he said, lol^^^^...;)

Thank you guys....Hopefully I'll be able to post a happy update. Thanks again for your time and knowledge

Back