One-month review (and comparison to my other SUV) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One-month review (and comparison to my other SUV)

jkintn

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Limite
I've owned my Explorer for a month now and decided I'd give a short review along with a comparison to my other SUV (2010 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring). My Explorer is a 2011 Limited 4WD.

Overall, I really like the interior and exterior styling of the Explorer (hands down it looks nicer than the Pilot). The ride is also excellent for an SUV though I wish it wasn't so low to the ground. It feels smaller than the Pilot on the inside and the Pilot seems more geared to families. There is more interior storage locations in front center console, more cupholders that are easier to reach for small kids in the back (high on door instead of down low which makes it better for kids in carseats and boosters). I also like that the 2nd row of seats in the Pilot are on rails and can slide forward and backward for more legroom. The Explorer doesn't seem to have much rear legroom since 2nd row is fixed.

Other things I like better about the Pilot is Honda makes it easier to purchase/locate a vehicle because they have few options and most are tied directly to the trim level (base, EX, EX-L, Touring). This can be bad in that it limits your options or forces you to buy a high trim level than you want. At the same time, it doesn't force you to scour dealer inventories and look at window sticker for numerous options. If a dealer shows a Pilot Touring, you know what options are on it. When we bought the Honda, we wanted power liftgate and NAV. At the time we had to go with a Touring model to get that. Honda does include many things standard that are options on the Explorer - Class III hitch/tow package, front and rear parking sensors, mud guards, bumper cover (that actually wraps over the edge to really protect the paint).

I don't care for the interior center cluster for the Pilot - it has way too many buttons. BUT, they work...all the time. Once you learn the location of buttons you use, it is not a big deal. MFT looks better, but functionality is a pain and takes eyes off the road too much. The iPod interface on the Honda is much better as once you are in a playlist, it leaves the list on the screen for easier scrolling and you don't have to browse and pick the device, playlist all over again as with Ford. Honda NAV is also fully functional while driving.

I think the climate control on the Honda also seems better. I pick a temp and it always feels fine. On the Explorer, I'm constantly changing the temp and mode.

Still undecided which one I like better and most of you probably aren't comparing these particular vehicles. Honda will never win style awards but their vehicles are functional and reliable. I really like the direction Ford is going and styling is good on many of their vehicles. I hope they get the technology part figured out. Our Honda cost about $4k less than the Explorer and the Honda had tow package and roof-mounted DVD while Explorer did not have tow nor the DVD system. Most other options are similar.

Great, honest review... :thumbsup:

Back