One of these things is not like the other! (Sway bar links) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One of these things is not like the other! (Sway bar links)

asurotc206

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT Explorer
I was driving home from drill this past weekend, and I heard a clank right as I hit a pothole in the highway. I pulled off to investigate, and I find:
swaybarlinkbeforeforum.jpg

I get home and get the parts to work on it, and of course it rains. But finally:
swaybarafterforum.jpg

I had noticed that my ride was getting harsher and harsher, and the body roll was becoming unbearable. I attributed it to worn out struts (135K and climbing on OE) and put it aside to be fixed when I got around to it. Glad I heard the clank the other day and investigated. Definitely saved my self some money. Reading around the forum, I discovered that most people here who've had to replace them end up cutting the old ones off. No difference here. I :hammer: on the drivers side for a good while before :sawzall:. The passenger side was so eat up that it just broke off in my hand. Took about 3 and a half hours to get it all done... And it rides a whole hell of a lot better now.

EDIT: I did notice that on both sides, the top and bottom bushings started to bulge (as expected), but the middle ones did not (not expected). Should I keep tightening down on these until they do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

EDIT: I did notice that on both sides, the top and bottom bushings started to bulge (as expected), but the middle ones did not (not expected). Should I keep tightening down on these until they do?

Don't over tighten them, you can blow out the bushings. The torque setting for the front Stabilzer bar-to-link-nuts is 18 ft lbs for 2002-2005 Explorers.

Don't over tighten them, you can blow out the bushings. The torque setting for the front Stabilzer bar-to-link-nuts is 18 ft lbs for 2002-2005 Explorers.

Thanks. I'll check the torque when I get home. I had planned to double check them when I got home anyway after a day of driving all over the area.

The pics shown above look slightly loose if the suspension is loaded.

Thanks for the input!

It isn't loaded at this point. I still had the tires off and the front end up on jack stands when this picture was taken.

Back