Only key fob broken | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Only key fob broken

maremeat

Reaction score
Looking for some advice:

My Dad had only one key fob (single button) for his 96 Ford Explorer, however that has broken beyond repair.

We got two new fobs but have been unable to program them using any of the methods we've found online. Also, a local Ford Dealer tried without success (they cut out a panel in the rear cabin to obtain a code which they then tried to use with a programming method which I think they were emailed by Ford USA).

He has now been unable to start the Explorer for a couple of months.

Any suggestions to get it back on the road?

Thanks

Factory remotes are pretty standard and programmed with a key-turning sequence. I suspect you may have an aftermarket alarm installed in the truck.

Do you still have the broken key fob? If so, a pic of the front and back would be very helpful. Also, what numbers are printed on the back of the fob?

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I dont have the fob to post a picture. The fob is quite worn however my Dad says the text on on the back appears to read 'APT 1340 model RA'. Hopefully this make sense to someone.

I also meant to say it is a UK model Explorer.

UK models have a completely different alarm system from the US. I suggest you do a search on the UK alarms. I'm sure this issue has been addressed before.

Back