• Register Today It's free!

opinion on 6x8/5x7 speakers

DaninCO

Reaction score
City, State
Durango
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 X sport XLT
I was wondering what speakers people recommend for the 2k1 x sport. 6x8 2 ways or 3 ways. I want to start with getting the front speakers first because i could care less about peeps in the rear. I heard component sets are the best to get. Was wondering what peeps think.
Speakers are gonna be powered by the kac-748 which is around 35x4 rms, and peaks prolly for me around maybe 60.
I just want sound that people can hear like a block away with my windows close. Not talking about bass sound. Should I leave the rear stocks in there and power em with my deck and power the front two with the amp. my deck is a kenwood kdc-mp8017 which is an mp3/cd player. Or should i get like a component set for front speakers and like a 3 way for rear. Or will that sound weird.
If anyone has an opinion i want you to post it. Thanks for the help.
clarity of sound and volume level is both what im going for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for the front doors, get some 3-way 6X8s. the rear could use some 2-ways. Components are much better though. if you get components, the best place to mount them would be the kick panels. components need a lot more power than regular 2 or 3 ways.

to get it as loud as you want, and have it still sound good:
get decent 6X8s for the doors (polk, excelon, etc..)
get a good 5 1/4 or 6 1/2" component set for the kick panels
and get a decent amp to power the components (they will be the workhorse of your system, the door speakers act as midrange fill in)

My opinion on 6x8's and 5x7's is don't get them. Stick with a 5.25" 3-way speaker or component set. Components offer a larger woofer surface area and a separate tweeter. Although if you want people to hear you a block away with the windows up, 35 watts isn't gonna cut it. Also you said you don't care about what the people in the back of the truck hear, then why do you hear what people a block away hear? To get the volume you want you should run around 75 watts to each speaker @ 2ohms. Also you should get a speaker with a very high sensitivity. Some where around 90 dB's. A quick note: most 3-way speakers will have a high sensitivity than most component sets. Although components will offer greater sound quality.

Also I would discourage you from using speakers in the kick panels and in the doors. Using multiple speakers in different locations will greatly reduce your sound quality because the distance the speakers are from your ears will be different, thus the sound will reach your ears at different times even if that time is a fraction of a second.

Go with a good component set with a good amount of power and you'll be happy.

Steve

the only way to have music from speakers reach your ear at the exact same time is to only have one speaker.
if you're in the driver's seat, the left front speaker is a lot closer than the right front speaker. also the rear speakers are farther away too. most car companys put speakers in many different locations. my daytona has speakers in the door, dash, and rear from the factory, i added more and the sound quality is amazing.
not many cars have a driver's seat in the center of the car.

most SQ competition cars have door speakers and components in the kickpanels. i'd say about 90% of them, maybe more. and like i said, the components will be getting the most power. the door speakers mostly fill in the midrange.

speaker placement doesnt affect the sound quality as much as the amp will. if you run the speakers at 2 ohms instead of 4 ohms, you will get a higher THD (distotrion).

if you want it loud and clean, get components.

If you want people to hear you a block away with your windows closed you better plan on more speakers and power. Mid and hi frequency do not carry like the bass notes do. That is why you always hear the bass before the car and as the car gets closer you will hear the rest of the music.

I would recommend aftermarket 6 x 8 speakers for the front doors. Choose either 2 way or 3 way depending on how they sound to YOU in a quality audio dealers showroom ( NOT Wal or K mart ).

Good luck.....

speakerz

The problem is that I dont have any good dealers where i live. I have to drive like an hour and a hlaf to this place to get my system installed because the place near me is a rip off. Ill save alot of cash doing the drive. I tried to ask the guy at the audio place about what speakers are best and he started lechturing me about how everyone skull is shapped differently and how like peoples ears all hear different and thats why jpanese speakers sound different. is this true? if it is thats probably why all people have so many diff opinions about car audio.

It is true that everyone has different tastes and a speaker that sounds good to me, may not sound good to you. That's why it is important to listen to the speaker, not just go by someone's suggestion. A few good brands of high quality components are: Focal, Infinity, JL Audio, MB Quart, and there are so many more. You just gotta go listen!

Steve

A related Stupid Question...

The rear doors on a 94 X take 6X8's Sized speakers also, right?

Jim

Re: A related Stupid Question...

Originally posted by JamminG4Jim
The rear doors on a 94 X take 6X8's Sized speakers also, right?

Jim

yes

THANK YOU,LEENJEN!

I was getting worried! I ordered a set of Pioneer TS-A6865's for the front, got 'em, put 'em in, and love the sound!!!

SOOOoooo, like a dummy I ordered a SECOND set that just arrived today. Then I thought "Gee, I hope the rear doors are like the fronts!?!?"

Duh, big time... I'll install these when the outside air temp isn't in the upper 90's with 110 degree heat indexes.....It's like breathing with a wet washcloth covering your face. Ick!

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply, Leen!!!

Jim

no prob.

it's really hot here too. i think todays high was 97 degrees. and the humidity is also upper 90s.

i had to do an install in an all black car with a black leather interior!! it was like a sauna.

Let's hope they hop in to it with shorts on after its sat out in the sun for an afternoon!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I remember the good ol dayz in Phoenix when you had to cover up the steering wheel with a towel if you wanted to touch it anytime before dark!!!

It's 20 till 10pm here and it's STILL 95 degrees. Jeez!

I was wondering if any of you have had much luck with the sub that fits in the right hand rear storage area???
Saw one on e-bay...

Thanks

Jim

sub

there is no rear sub area in the back of the x port 2001 right?
are those things even good?

Re: sub

Originally posted by DaninCO
there is no rear sub area in the back of the x port 2001 right?
are those things even good?

the factory subs that some x's have are on the passenger side in the back. some people have the aftermarket stealth boxes.

what you have is much better. the stealth boxes dont hit very hard due to lack of volume in the enclosure (air space). they sound more like a thud, comared to the BOOM of a sub in a larger enclosure.

yea, my dad has an expedition eddie bauer or whatever and he has one of those stock subs. pathetic. i dont know why people even buy those fukin things. fowrd must make crazy cash. my car doesnt have one of those lame fukin stock subs.
anyway thanks for the help again.

Back