Opinions on pulling travel trailers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions on pulling travel trailers

cbx1047

Reaction score
City, State
waikesha, wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 limited
I have a 2015 limited with tow package. I bought it because of the 5000 lb. tow rate. However after reading all the threads here I need some real life experiences. I am looking at a 2900 lb trailer 260 lb tongue weight. The trailer is 1 axle, 20 ft long with a slopped front. I plan on putting about 200# in trailer, WDH hitch 75 lbs. and load explorer including myself with about 500#. Approx. 3800 lbs total. I would like to drive on the express way at 65 to 70 (providing there is low wind). I do not want to white knuckle myself to death while driving. My trips will be on the short side 200 to 250 one way. If this is doable I would like to know, I also don’t want to destroy my explorer in the process. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peterk9, I did read that in the past and it was informative, but I was still looking real life on free-way speeds 65/70 and my trailer would be 1000lbs lighter then those posted.

I just pulled a new Winnebago Micro Minnie 1705RD (approximately 3000 lbs dry) up from Oklahoma City yesterday and I will say that if it is windy you WILL notice that there is a trailer back there. On a windless day you will easily be able to go 65-70 mph without too much unpleasantness. I have a 2017 base model, V6 4X4 with factory towing package to which I've added a Tekonsha electronic brake controller and a Fastway weight distributing hitch.

Hi there I own a 2016 ford explorer limited and have towed twice now with mine. I recently bought a new travel trailer with a dry weight of 2800 lbs and a gvwr of 3500 lbs and is 20ft in length and it did ok could be better though. I find when it's windy the explorer struggles for sure can't go much faster than 80km/hr. Once I got off the flat prairies and into the trees the explorer did much better at 90km/hr. I use a weight distribution hitch there's virtually no sag in the back. But I think that's where it ends for the positive points on towing with it. Gas mileage is horrible because the explorer has a smaller gas tank & well your towing a huge brick sized trailer in the wind behind you it's working harder. Now that I've towed with mine I'm actually looking at getting a truck the explorer just isn't strong enough in my opinion to do the job comfortably. Coming home this past weekend towing with it and it was reving high and low and even felt like my transmission clunked at one point. And it was not loaded it was myself my hubby & our dog and our bedding etc in the trailer. Furthest I've towed is 6hrs and I stopped 3 times for gas. With the last time it blew through an entire tank only got 200kms for a whole tank of gas which is awful. I wouldn't recommend towing for long distances. Also I've noticed it takes a few days to a week for the mileage to go back to normal after towing. For instance when I get to a quarter tank it chimes my gas light comes on & says I can get 40kms it's annoying but clears itself up eventually. Haven't decided yet if I should trade in and get a brand new truck or keep my explorer and just buy a 2nd hand truck for my towing needs. I really do love my explorer that's why i towed with it one more time before I make my final decision.

Welcome to the Forum Bear2013.:wave:
I haven't heard that about the mileage issue. I know that when you fill the tank the Miles To Empty is always based on your previous usage but I would have thought that the actual gas left in the tank is governed by another sensor.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Bear2013.:wave:
I haven't heard that about the mileage issue. I know that when you fill the tank the Miles To Empty is always based on your previous usage but I would have thought that the actual gas left in the tank is governed by another sensor.

Peter

Miles to empty is based on an average, not just the last tank. It will take a few tanks to get back to normal from a towing to non towing experience.

Same thing happens when I tow my camper with my F350.

To the OP, I wouldn't be concerned if you have the factory tie package. Get a good WD hitch and make sure it is setup correctly. Keep in mind that trailer tires are only rated to go 65MPH. They can overheat and deteriorate quickly going over 65. One blow out on a single axle camper can be disaterous.

Miles to empty is based on an average, not just the last tank. It will take a few tanks to get back to normal from a towing to non towing experience.

Same thing happens when I tow my camper with my F350.
I wouldn't think that the Miles To Empty average should affect the gas gauge display of how much gas is actually left in the tank.

I wouldn't think that the Miles To Empty average should affect the gas gauge display of how much gas is actually left in the tank.

Me neither.

Under vehicle settings in the LH side of instrument cluster there is a DTE calculation setting. Set this to towing and it switches to a towing DTE calculation. When you are done switch it back. I believe the computer keeps two different sets of DTE variables depending on which mode it is in.

Under vehicle settings in the LH side of instrument cluster there is a DTE calculation setting. Set this to towing and it switches to a towing DTE calculation. When you are done switch it back. I believe the computer keeps two different sets of DTE variables depending on which mode it is in.

Thank you for the tip I wasn't aware of that option.

I tow a 2002 Coleman Niagara (GRVW 3500 lbs), I towed it when it was windy and I did not feel the trailer, nor do I when i stop since I used brake controller for the electric brakes in the Niagara. I went over the Grapevine mountains on I-5 between Los Angles and Bakersfield, I did not experience any problems towing up hill but I can tell I have the trailer when it pushes me downhill!!!!!! My camper tires are radials so there is basically no speed limit for it. I am still young and love the popup but it won't be long when I consider buying Air Stream Bambi. The Explorer is perfect for my popup and it will be perfect with Air Stream as well.

Back