Outside cold air thru glove compartment | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Outside cold air thru glove compartment

can we fill out that form for the cracked panel under the back window. I have the same issues that you guys do but my rear window was my big issue. it violently exploded in a parking lot. almost took out a lady

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you think this problem with the broken fresh air door would make the whole truck feel "drafty" and not heat up inside fully?? i have an appt on tuesday to have this looked at. it's 10 degrees here in upstate ny and this is almost unbearable. I feel like the whole truck inside is "Drafty"

do you think this problem with the broken fresh air door would make the whole truck feel "drafty" and not heat up inside fully?? i have an appt on tuesday to have this looked at. it's 10 degrees here in upstate ny and this is almost unbearable. I feel like the whole truck inside is "Drafty"

I would say it's definitely the reason it feels drafty inside.

this is exactly the problem, I am having mine fixed right now. It's a big pain in the ass to do. the heater core had to be disconnected and the a/c system is also disconnected.

FYI: I had to bring my explorer in twice for the repair place to be convinced that the air inlet box needs to be replaced. it seems to be easily overlooked. The ford dealer had the car for a day only to tell me everything was ok. brought it to a local Midas and it was also missed but after explaining the issue in detail it was agreed that this is the issue.

it's still covered under warranty so i'm going to take it in this week and have it checked....when they had the dash apart the first time to replace the actuator they missed this part and said my problem was because of the actuator..how wrong they were because now it can verified since it's cold outside. o well

I'm glad people were able to get this sorted out and problematic parts replaced. I talked to a few techs at work and none of them really want to do it because of the labor involved and the fact that I'm a poor college student and don't really want to pay much haha.
I stuck a glove in front of the grates and that has helped somewhat, but I will probably be buying the assembly and doing it myself in the summer since I don't have a garage to work in right now.

I can't believe I found this site. I have been trying to figure out the cold air problem in my wifes explorer for about a year. Well, I only remember it when I am riding in the passenger seat and its cold ouside. Looked everywhere for an opening but found nothing. Finally tonight I had had enough took the glove compartment off and looked, then jumped on the net and here I am.
After reading the posts and looking at the link www.denlorstools.com. I felt the door at the bottom, now I know. I also filled out the form at the lawyers link on this page and hope everyone does to.

I can't believe I found this site. I have been trying to figure out the cold air problem in my wifes explorer for about a year. Well, I only remember it when I am riding in the passenger seat and its cold ouside. Looked everywhere for an opening but found nothing. Finally tonight I had had enough took the glove compartment off and looked, then jumped on the net and here I am.
After reading the posts and looking at the link www.denlorstools.com. I felt the door at the bottom, now I know. I also filled out the form at the lawyers link on this page and hope everyone does to.

Welcome to the site! What do you mean "cold air" you live in Florida?! haha just kidding. Anyway glad you were able to find us and figure out your problem. Now you know where to go when something breaks

Hey now, it was a brisk 62° today, actually thought about putting on long pants. But still glad I found this site, I am a member of a FordF150 site I use for my 95' and have fixed many a problem. These sites are a wealth of info for all levels of do it yourselfers like me.

I got this same problem and have a piece of cut up pizza box shoved up behind the glove box to cut down on the cold air. The worst part is outside odors come inside instantly, like when you drive through a cloud of smoke or behind a stinky car. Its direct injected to your nose. This is such a lousy failure to have since its so hard to get to. Its on my list though as the A/C works like crap when its got hot air mixing with it.

Cold Air thru the glove box area

I noticed on a cold trip this weekend that I had a tremendous amount of very cold air coming thru the glove box area in my 2002 Explorer. Its interesting that there are so many of these cases out there! Any way we could bring this many of these to Ford's attention? Thanks.

cold air thru glove box

i replaced the broken door assembly box this weekend, it took about 3 hours. i went with the swing the dash out on the passenger's side method. everything went as planned but i did change one thing in the method. instead of putting the box in complete and trying to glue it down with great stuff i bolted down the bottom part of the new box including the two bolts at the front that can't be reached with the box complete. then i trimmed off the two bolt slots on the topside of the box but left the two pilot holes to align on the pins. then i bolted the topside of the box to the bottom side and it is just like new. this way all of the bolts hold down the bottom half of the box like designed and the top is held in place with all but the front two. the box is very rigid and works great. $72 at the dealer for the complete new box but i was afraid to try this without having a new box incase i messed up the old one.

Cold Air Through Glove Box

box is very rigid and works great. $72 at the dealer for the complete new box but i was afraid to try this without having a new box incase i messed up the old one.

Jmorristin - I am getting ready to start on the same project, but would like to get the parts first. Do you have the P/N of the Box. I cant seem to find it any place on the internet. Thanks Much

I'm not sure what the part number is but just called the dealer parts dept and told them the fresh air door box assembly and they fixed me up on it. Overall it wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be, air gets very cold now.

Cold Air pouring in behind glove box

So glad I found you guys! I am having this same problem in my 05 Explorer that I just bought. It was a steal of a deal as it looks and run like brand new but maybe now not such a steal after all...

Anyways, I found another web page where a guy has posted the pages from the shop manual showing the Exact problem partor possibly 2 parts that are to blame. Check it out...

http://bhcomputersupport.com/Air_Inlet_door.aspx

I was wondering if anyone has tried replacing this Air Inlet Door and if it requires dash removal?

Thanks,
Ken

Just when I thought my wife was nuts when describing how much cold air was coming in on her side of my '04 Explorer, I finally let her drive me around on a 10 degree morning last week. Damn.........sure was cold !

Looks like I'm facing this repair also, but is there a way to just pick up the door off the floor of the box with some home brewed tool and close it up temporarily until I can take the time to pull the dash apart and replace the box ?

How about a shishkabob stick with some superglue on the end left to touch the top of the loose door that is laying on the bottom of the box just as described so it can be rotated up and closed ?

What is the effect of the door being closed against the grille ? All outside air into the system or none ? Better heating or better A/C function ? If the door is blocking off the intake to the blower it has to allow the blower push more air through the system, right ?

Thanks for the help everybody. You may have saved our marriage !

Pyzon

I guess after thinking a bit more about this door flap is it meant to close off the top of the box to prevent air from coming down from in front of the windshield below the wipers ? If so I would have to somehow hold it up against the top of the box right ?

I'm just trying to delay the repair until the weather gets a bit warmer !

Thanks again for all the cool tips and helpful advice.

Pyzon

yep it does block the air coming down from the wiper area. i rode around with a towel over the heater box grill for a while but air still got in. took about 3 hours to replace. just take your time and you'll be surprised how easy it will go.

i just JB weld my in place and said screw it, will be there when summer comes back:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jmorristn: Sounds like you did replace this air inlet door unit. I was wondering, did you have to remove the dash or can it be done by just removing the glove box?

Pyzon: I don't know if you should close it off entirely with your Jerry Rig repair. Might want to leave it open a little if possible to avoid steamy windows that won't clear... Some cars have a little switch on the dash to directly control the outside air flapper. Generally you run it shut with A/C on, so it just recirculates the air and the A/C unit removes the humidity... BUT in the winter, when it's really cold or if you have several passengers (especially breathing ones), you need to have it in fresh air mode to keep the windows from steaming over...

Back