• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive warning light.

dougssalt

Reaction score
City, State
The Affluent South East
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer XLT
Hello all, i've had my explorer for a year now and love it, but i have a niggly problem-the orange overdrive warning light keeps coming on and flashes.
Can anybody help me with why this happens and how can i stop it.
It seems that when it is flashing the overdrive is not engaged and the revs increase a little.
It does not happen all the time, but it is becoming more frequent, hoping someone can advise me, many thanks, doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome doug

Need to have codes pulled, Doug- the flashing O/D is an indication of the electronics reporting a transmission fault.

Cheers for the quick reply Joe, I'll get it looked at, sorry to take a while to acknowledge your response, couldn't remember my sign in details!!-sorted now, kind regards, Doug

Once you get the codes read post them up or seach the tranny thread. Most places will prob want to replace the box but they can be rebuilt. Kev P and Rich have both done this. If it is a solenoid this can be done without removing the thing as can the valve body. So before deciding on a course of action do a bit of research on the codes. You handy with the spanners?? Might be a fun project!!

Jan you have a strange idea of whats fun! :p:

Jan thanks for that, I'm hopefully getting the codes read next week, then I'll post them as you suggest. Yes , I'm very handy with the spanners!!!! Cheers mate

Back