Overhead console temperature gauge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overhead console temperature gauge

quincyj57

Reaction score
City, State
Thomson, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
In my '97 XLT the digital outside temperature gauge displayed on the overhead console always reads 140 degrees no matter what the temperature really is. Something must be wrong but I can't even figure out how to remove the thing so that I can take a look at it. Any help out there would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Temp. sensor is on the drivers side, right in front of the radiator. Hope that helps, if thats the problem, it should be an easy fix then!

Hey Todd, I think he meant the temperature inside the truck, not the temperature of the coolant. I would try to reset it by disconnecting the battery for about 15-20 minutes.

Well yeah, Todd is right the out side temp sensor is infront of the rad. Pop the grille off and it is cake from there. Sounds to me like the sensor is on the fritz.

Welcome to the site Quincy. Don't be a stranger

Originally posted by X-factor
Hey Todd, I think he meant the temperature inside the truck, not the temperature of the coolant. I would try to reset it by disconnecting the battery for about 15-20 minutes.

<<Insert Foot into Mouth>>

Well, I stand corrected. (Surely, not the first time. :D )

Graceful man.
We could use a few more people like you around here.

Originally posted by X-factor
Well, I stand corrected. (Surely, not the first time. :D )

Its happened to me b4 too. Trust me! but thats where its located, if it weren't dark out i'd take a pic of it

i'm glad i read this. i also have a scrwewed up temp reading.....it's 85 out and my temp says 45...ok:rolleyes: . anyway, i thought it was located in the overhead console. i remember someone saying it looks like a tube of lipstick..the shape that is. is that what i'm looking for? cuz it probably needs to be replaced. thanks.

Well...
here is mine on my 99. The sensor looks like a big, brown, nut with 2 wires coming out.
Ken

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 745

thanks for the pic bottomless. i'm glad b/c i thought i was gonna have to rip apart the overhead console. that thing looks like a pretty easy replacement.

earlier sensors look a bit different... but generally if you search around front you'll find it. It's the only thingy that has two wires attached to it. When you replace this dang thing and it's still goofy then your overhead unit might be to blame.

Back