Overheating 4.6L V8-Suggestions? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overheating 4.6L V8-Suggestions?

Started another thread on this, but does anyone know how the transmission cooler lines detach from the radiator? Instructions from the Ford manual say "quick disconnect" tool is needed. I have one from when I disconnected my fuel rail that is actually 4 different sizes. Should be adequate, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I changed the radiator and fan clutch over the weekend. Haven't had the same hot temps as last week yet so I won't know for sure if it is fixed until I drive it in traffic when it is hot out. So far, no movement from the normal temperature location on the gauge, though.

Turns out my quick-disconnect tools I used on the fuel lines would not work on the tranny cooler lines. However, with some extra care, I was able to remove the tranny cooler and set it out of the way without having to detach the lines. So if anyone has to do this repair and doesn't have the quick disconnect tool you CAN still do the repair.

awesome pet i am glad everything worked out good for you let us know how everything turns out

Yesterday was a success. No overheating in traffic at all. Temp gauge didn't move a bit. However, it was barely over 80 degrees so not a real "summer test" just yet. It is supposed to get into the 90's here over the weekend so that should get things where they need to be for me to find out.

After a pretty hot weekend and lots of city/rush hour driving in the past few days, the temp gauge has not moved a bit. I'll never know if it was only the bad fan clutch or the old radiator not circulating as well but everything appears to be working well again. This weekend I'll flush the water and put the appropriately diluted coolant into the system.

Thanks to all for the help!!!!!

Back