• Register Today It's free!

Overheating

Zach Lynch

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 2wd
I am having overheating issues with my 94 fly Explorer, I have replaced my thermostat, radiator cleaned, new hoses all around, block and head have tested good my head gasket is not blown, the only other part I could think of is my water pump, could that possibly be my issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your fan clutch. It may be bad. At the same time, inspect the fan for cracks. It happens as they get older. Also, use a heat gun to verify that it is really too hot. Sending units can go bad too.

Check your fan clutch. It may be bad. At the same time, inspect the fan for cracks. It happens as they get older. Also, use a heat gun to verify that it is really too hot. Sending units can go bad too.
My fan clutch is brand new as well, fan looks good, what does the sending unit do? I’m not to familiar.

There are two temp sending units. One for the gauge and another to feed info to the computer. If I remember correctly, the one for the gauge has a single wire attached to it. It is located behind the thermostat housing where the upper radiator hose is attached.
Is your engine actually steaming and pushing coolant out? If that's the case, then the gauge is not the problem.

There are two temp sending units. One for the gauge and another to feed info to the computer. If I remember correctly, the one for the gauge has a single wire attached to it. It is located behind the thermostat housing where the upper radiator hose is attached.
Is your engine actually steaming and pushing coolant out? If that's the case, then the gauge is not the problem.
It doesn’t spit anything out, my overflow tank is full bc i guess when it boils in the radiator it makes it to that hose at the top and flows down in the tank. I do not see any circulation in my radiator as well when it’s running.

You sure there is no air in the system? Does the thermostat have a weep hole? If so is it at the 12 o'clock position? New parts don't mean they are good, it means they are untested. Easy way to determine if the water pump is bad is to use a laser thermometer on the upper and lower hoses. The temperature difference should be 18-20 degrees.

How many miles on the motor? Water pump impellers do wear out.

Josh p is giving good advise about the infrared gun. If you don't see water flow, it could be as simple as a stuck thermostat.

How many miles on the motor? Water pump impellers do wear out.
It’s got 156k on it, I always thought it wasn’t a good idea for plastic propellers so if that is my issue it is bound to happen.. I may try another thermostat to make sure this one isn’t stuck, because last one I got before I had this issue ended up being stuck so I replaced it. If it matter I am running the 195 thermostat so it sits just under half way at the right normal operating temperature.

It’s got 156k on it, I always thought it wasn’t a good idea for plastic propellers so if that is my issue it is bound to happen.. I may try another thermostat to make sure this one isn’t stuck, because last one I got before I had this issue ended up being stuck so I replaced it. If it matter I am running the 195 thermostat so it sits just under half way at the right normal operating temperature.
Impellers that are metal erode just as bad, sometimes worse if your coolant in overdue. It’s very uncommon for a thermostat to stock closed, two of them doing it is extremely unlikely.

Impellers that are metal erode just as bad, sometimes worse if your coolant in overdue. It’s very uncommon for a thermostat to stock closed, two of them doing it is extremely unlikely.
Non return from res can also be caused by a bad radiator cap.

Back