• Register Today It's free!

Oxygen Sensor Question

ParkerRocker

Reaction score
City, State
Hayden, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
I noticed that there are a varying amount of wires available for O2 sensors. How many does my 1992 Sport need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..IIRC there are 2 pin, 3 pin, and I believe the 95 and newer get the 4 wire/pin..:scratch:

..Take a look at the plug where your o2 sensor plugs in. There will be either a 2/3/ or 4 pin connection and that is directly related to the number of wires that are needed for your o2 sensors..This is also a common question the auto parts stores will ask of you, "How many pins does it have?"..;)

Tbars4, 'll have to look at the harness, I'm pretty sure it's a 2 wire. Oreilly's online store would back that up.

Also Xeek, I have no idea what the wires on an O2 sensor are used for, but below is a link for a 1 wire sensor! So I guess there are different configurations, figures eh? Makes it so much harder... :p

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacemen...ensor/p3038582.jcwx?filterid=d16937y1992g80j1

Also, I noticed that some are "heated" sensors and others are "Non-heated" sensors. What is that all about? I thought the exhaust heated them all up to operating temperatures... do some not need to be hot?

..I'm pretty sure the first gens are either 2-3 pin/wire..:scratch:

..and the 95 and newer are 4 pin which are the "Heated" oxygen sensors but I'm no expert on these..I just make sure the other side of the connecter has the same number of wires as the one I'm going to purchase..:D

..The number of wires are what the computer needs to read it and do it's thing

interesting. cause mines a 91 built in november 1990. no egr, one o2 sensor, 2 digit cel codes, all basic early model stuff. i know 100% it uses 4 wires, i cant be sure about the plug going back up to the engine harness tho. maybe i need to look, the connector itself is made for four pins, buy maybe only 2/3 wires are actually in it. same kinda deal like a 95s ohv maf sensor, 6 pin plug with 4 wires. lol :/

Well I checked the sensor, It was a 4 wire with the round connector. Trying to figure out why my engine was running like ass. Tested all the sensors I could think of with my multimeter except the O2 sensor. Is there a way to access those wires in the engine compartment by chance?

Anyway, replaced it with a Bosch 15718 Sensor and it runs like a champ now. I estimate I was getting roughly 8 MPG with that little bugger acting up.

Mine has four wires. One is to the ecu, one it from the ecu control voltage, and the other two are for the sensor heater.

Back