P0970....Pressure Control Solenoid "C" Control Circuit Low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0970....Pressure Control Solenoid "C" Control Circuit Low

DJDrew33

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 2WD 5r55S
Hi folks, I just joined this forum and feel I have learned so much... thanks to all your wonderful posts. Although far from it, I feel like I'm turning into a Ford mechanic, especially on the 5R55S transmission. I'm hoping someone can help me with a code that came up on my diagnostics. I have a 2004 Explorer, 2WD, 4.0 V6 with the 5R55S transmission.

The code is P0970....Pressure Control Solenoid "C" Control Circuit Low.

Would simply replacing the solenoid pack work? Basically the O/D light is flashing when I put it in D. It also shifts hard into reverse. I recently changed my transmission fluid and cleaned off the solenoid pack, and put it all back together. When draining, I let it sit overnight... got out 7 qts. Then refilled and adjusted the fluid level. Still the having the same problem. Does my code mean I need to replace the solenoid pack?

Thank you in advance for your respons(es).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your post into its own thread in the transmission section. It could be the solenoid block, internal wiring harness or a bad connection on the bulkhead connector. How many miles does it have? The solenoid blocks tend to act up around 60K miles.

WOW! Thanks for such a quick response Brooklyn. I bought my Explorer used with about a 16 months ago with 84K miles... now it has 104K miles on it. I probably should have replaced the tran fluid right when I bought it. It was pretty dirty when I replaced it 2 days ago. Thanks for the help.

BrooklynBay,

I replaced the solenoid block and the problem still exists. The code is P0970....Pressure Control Solenoid "C" Control Circuit Low.

Any suggestions?

How do I clear the codes?

I'm a little confused... maybe. Before solenoid replacement, the code came up P0979 - Pressure Control Solenoid "C" Control Circuit Low. After I replaced it, am I REQUIRED to hook-up the code reader after replacing the part in order to make it work? Sorry if I sound stupid, but I am not the greatest mechanic (especially when it comes to sensitive ford transmissions), but I assumed after I replaced the solenoid, the problem would go away (Granted that was the problem). So my confusion is... after the repair/replacement of the solenoid, am I required to clear it with a computer to fix the problem?

Some codes clear after driving for a while while others go away when the problem is fixed. You could either clear the code, and see if it comes back or continue driving, and see if the new block was causing this code to appear.

Some codes clear after driving for a while while others go away when the problem is fixed. You could either clear the code, and see if it comes back or continue driving, and see if the new block was causing this code to appear.

BrooklynBay,

After several tests and replacements, I've decided I need to drop the tranny. Can I do this in my driveway while it's jacked up?

Having the same P0970 code issue on my wifes 2004 2WD 4.0 Eddie Bauer Explorer that started today. OD light is blinking and dash reads "check transmission". Code will not clear. Has about 115k miles and trans fluid has not been changed yet (been telling her to get it changed since 80k miles... She will pay for the new tranny if it needs it, not me.) Any ideas how to resolve this issue? How do I figure out what tranny is in our truck? Truck drives OK, but has high revs for a given speed.

Hey did you guys found the problem? Im having the same issue here

Hi folks, I just joined this forum and feel I have learned so much... thanks to all your wonderful posts. Although far from it, I feel like I'm turning into a Ford mechanic, especially on the 5R55S transmission. I'm hoping someone can help me with a code that came up on my diagnostics. I have a 2004 Explorer, 2WD, 4.0 V6 with the 5R55S transmission.

The code is P0970....Pressure Control Solenoid "C" Control Circuit Low.

Would simply replacing the solenoid pack work? Basically the O/D light is flashing when I put it in D. It also shifts hard into reverse. I recently changed my transmission fluid and cleaned off the solenoid pack, and put it all back together. When draining, I let it sit overnight... got out 7 qts. Then refilled and adjusted the fluid level. Still the having the same problem. Does my code mean I need to replace the solenoid pack?

Thank you in advance for your respons(es).
I am having the exact same problem. Excat same code. But the thing is. The hard shifting into reverse in the rear of the drive shaft. That connects into the rear differential. It's only a hard shift into reverse tho. And it won't shift after 40mph. It downshift. Is there a way I can service my transmission or what fluids can I put in for the code p0970 go away? Never had this problem till I was parked up hill and put it into gear. Then same thing downhill. Then drove an hour home. And soon as I left the drive thru. Is when my O/D light started flashing. And then my check engine light came on.

Back