P1409 2nd fault question on 5.0 after intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P1409 2nd fault question on 5.0 after intake

wesalexleft

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer V8 4.6L
I just replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my 97 5.0 Mounty. After getting the intake back in place, and started up, everything was running pretty good, but I got a P1409 error for high voltage on the EGR. I looked at it, and I'd forgotten to connect the wiring connector to the DPFE sensor. Hooked it up, disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, and then reset. The light was out at startup, but is back on again. I again had the code read, it's again a P1409, but this time it says its a EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Malfunction... Where should I look? It all appears to be hooked up correctly. I didn't have any codes before the intake project, and unless I cracked a vacuum line all looks good. Could it be a stored code that wasn't cleared after 30 minutes without a battery?

thanks,

I would double check the plugins just to be safe and also make sure everything is lined up right as far as the intake runners with the gasket and make sure there's no gapping although you said it was running fine. Hmmmm, I'd try letting it sit overnight with the negative cable disconnected then drive it a few hundred miles to see what it does.

The truck runs and idles great. It's not a driveability issue. I think I either cracked a vacuum line within the outer cover, or possibly damaged my DPFE or EGR, or EGR vacuum solenoid during disassembly/reassembly. I tried to be as gentle as possible, but that EGR took some work to line up to the upper intake to get the bolts in, and there's almost no clearance for tools, so I had to "lever" the EGR in place. I didn't think I was too rough though.
Are these things very sensitive to being hooked/unhooked? I'm going to recheck all connections with a mirror this evening to be sure everything has stayed connected, but I may have to start checking individual lines with vacuum gauge.

Back