Paint Falling Apart - Will I get Service from FORD? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint Falling Apart - Will I get Service from FORD?

After a year of my hood paint getting progressively worse, I took it into my local FORD dealer today for them to look at it.

I have a black 97 Explorer 2 door, out of the standard 3 year warranty. The base coat is getting progressively thinner, and now the paint on the hood seems to be "snowflaking" away from the metal. That's right, the paint seems to be stipped away from the metal, in very small snow flake patterns. all over the top of the car, but especially on the hood. If you look closely, white specs down to the metal can be seen all over the vehicle. It seems where the sun has been exposed directly to the paint, the problem is worse.

The service employee said it looks like "the paint has been over baked, and is defective." He suggested I take it to a auto body shop down ther road, since they do not have a body shop inhouse anymore. They now contract all of their Ford work out to this private firm.

The auto body owner looked at my car, and immediately stated he has seen this before. "The paint is defective" he said. He wrote up a quote, 16 hours body work to strip to the metal, prime, paint, clearcoat = $3,000! (hood, fenders, doors, and the top of the car to be done).

He took down my VIN and information, then faxed me the quote a few hours later. He also faxed the quote to the dealer, and told me I should take it up with them.

I have not heard from the dealer yet.

Anyone have this problem? Any chances in getting a full paint job 5 years after purchase? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2000 Sport is doing that too.
I work in a body shop so I am just gonna shoot the whole thing my self any way.

If you do make a list put me on it any way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 96' Explorer is doing the same thing ALL over the hood and im not to happy about it at all.

kendal

I have a "snowflake" spot on my hood, too. About 3-4 inches wide. I'm hoping if a keep a good coat of wax on it, it will prolong my having to get it painted.

Unfortuantely wax will not help at all. What is happening is from the bottom up.
Sorry man.

It hasn't done anything but discolored it a bit. Can't feel it through the clear coat. Seems just fine to me. If it gets any worse, I'll get it painted. No big deal.

My 01 sport's hood has the snowflake appearance to it. Any 01+ have this problem? The entire middle section of the hood has various blotches where the silver just isnt as shiny. Its still under warranty, I think Ill take it in before its not anymore. I am the second owner, shouldnt be any hassle surrounding this, should there? This does not make me happy in the least.

ok, in various places on my x I have what looks like the paint chipped away...but its smooth like you guys said, like its under the clear coat...looks almost white...is this what you guys are talking about?

Ya, it is definately under the clearcoat. If i wash mine up really good and polish. If you step back about 10 ft the clearcoat just shines and looks good. If you look closer though you can see thousands of little slivers.

Wow and here I thought I was alone. My 92 green sport is doing the same thing and has been for years as well as getting progressively worse as each year passes. My entire roof is like it and my entire right side hood. And the left side of the hood just started up 2 weeks ago. I have not looked into getting it repainted yet but it is on my list of things to do this year.

This is one list that I really don't wanna be added to... :( but put my 97' eb on it (just the hood so far but the paint is really going downhill)... I found that if you use colored wax, i'm not really sure what brand, it makes the cracks somewhat less noticable. I've also heard colored wax is horrible for your clearcoat so if you know about this, please share :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Scormunch
I found that if you use colored wax, i'm not really sure what brand, it makes the cracks somewhat less noticable. I've also heard colored wax is horrible for your clearcoat so if you know about this, please share :rolleyes:

I was thinking about this also...I never have heard good comments about it, but was thinking about giving it a shot. At least on my hood, it cant make it any worse.

I have lost a lot of my clear coat on my hood, and side panels. Im sure I will be losing my paint in a year or so. I have a 93 Xlt Green

I had terrible dealings with Ford, they don't want to do anything unless they have to. I owned a '88 Ford Bronco paint coming off after 2 yrs., they wouldn't fix it said had to many miles on it. Only miles I had was little over 20,000. I told them I have warranty for bought it new its their fault it should be fixed. Well, I got the run around like you wouldn't believe. Now own '98 Ford Exployer plate the gas line hooks to got to hot burned holes in it, they wouldn't even hear of paying for it, had a '96 Ford F150 Truck, burned don't know what caused the fire. They wouldn't pay for that. Ford needs to get off their butts and stand behind what they sell. Good Luck!!!!

Meee toooo!!!!

I have a 97 explorer and had a 92 and both of them did and are doing this. Im going to ford and trying. I will be taking in stacks of this kind of stuff and causing quite the stir til something is done. I still drive my 97 and water is leaking thru the windshield seal when it rains due to this poooor craftsmanship that ford calls a paintjob. it is all in the headliner and molding in there. I will make sure it gets done after reading all this i have read today about this problem. Lets fight this to the MAX!!!!!

Mother of all post resurrections!

Honestly you are not gonna get anything but laughs if you bring in a 12 and 17 y/o vehicle to claim defective workmanship.

holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg

Back