Paint matching | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint matching

I'm thinking about finally fixing the bubbled paint around my fuel hatch. I am planning on grinding it down to bare metal, coating it with that rust converter stuff, bondo-ing it until the contour is perfect, priming it and then wet sanding, priming agian and then sanding it super smooth. My question is this: is it even possible to get a perfectly matched paint, and if it is, how do I go about applying it to make it look perfect?

The rest of the body is still in near-perfect condition and the fire-engine red paint still has an extremely deep, wet, glossy shine to it. I want the repair to look as good as the rest of the body.

Any help would be appreceited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would say do all the prep work and take it to a body shop... they have the tools and experience to get it blended properly

The only problem with a body shop is that they charge you to paint it. The only problem with them charging to paint it is that I'm a broke college student (or will be as of next september). So I'd rather save money and do it myself.

well the only problem with that is unless you have the experience and the tools to do it, it wont or ever will look exactly like it is supposed to

It will not have the results you desire if you do it your self.
Red is a very difficult color. It has a zillion variences.

Monmix is right, older (read aged) reds, oranges, yellows and bronzes and some browns are VERY difficult to color match and blend. Silver? A snap.

Yah i have to agree, i tryed to fix the same problem on one of my other cars, did all the rust removal, bondo, and priming, i then painted it and tried to blend it in.....It came out OK but up close it was very noticable.. if u want spotless results get a pro to do it..

A 2001 paint job

mf94_4x4 said:
Yah i have to agree, i tryed to fix the same problem on one of my other cars, did all the rust removal, bondo, and priming, i then painted it and tried to blend it in.....It came out OK but up close it was very noticable.. if u want spotless results get a pro to do it..

Here's a question. What about standard grey? I have a 2001 Explorer Sport that is Navy Blue with the grey running boards and grey bumpers. Is the standard grey a difficult color to match? My right running board and rear bumper have some scratches in them that are rusting.

Gray isn't so bad. It fades less, and the eye is more forgiving to minor variations. It should blend well.

you will better your odds going with a professional automotive paint.
PPG, Sikkins, what have you.

PPG even makes a blender for use in spot repairs. Often though you may end up doing an entire panel, depending.

Back