Paint popping up on hood | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint popping up on hood

joesacamano

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville - KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2003 Explorer Limited. The paint on the front edge, passenger side, where the rise in the hood starts is popping up. Has anyone else had this problem?

A friend who is a buyer for a local dealer told me this is common among the 2002-2005 Explorers. He said this is one thing to look for when looking at used Explorers. I checked another Explorer in our parking lot at work and it is popping in the same place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep,

My wife's 2003 is showing the dreaded "rust bubble" type of paint popping up.
It is occurring on the driver's side hood edge on our Explorer though.

Grrrr. - this should not be happening on a well-cared for 2003 with only 42K miles :fire:

I had this happen also, Ford warrenty'd it. They said it was common, I hope it doesn't happen again they repainted the entire hood even underneth. Just for the information, mine is a 2003 Limited too. Ceramic white.

I JUST HAD THE HOOD OF MY 02 EXPLORER REPAINTED. IT WAS DOING THE EXACT SAME THING. THE COLOR IS WHITE. CHECK YOUR COROSION WARRANTY. I HAVE 42,000mi ON MINE AND THEY COVERED IT UNDER WARRANTY. I WAS HOPING THAT I WAS NOT THE ONLY PERSON WITH THIS PROBLEM.
KENTEC

KENTECH said:
I WAS HOPING THAT I WAS NOT THE ONLY PERSON WITH THIS PROBLEM.
KENTEC

let me get this straight...you were hoping other people were having problems with their trucks too? :eek:

NO!!! I WAS NOT HOPING THAT OTHER PEOPLE WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM THE WAY IT SOUNDS. I THINK THAT YOU COULD FIGURE THAT ONE OUT YOURSELF. BUT IF I WAS THE ONLY ONE I WOULD HAVE PAID FOR THE PAINT MY SELF. INSTEAD I CHECKED WITH THE FORUM AND FOUND THERE WERE OTHER OWNERS LIKE ME WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. SO I GOT IT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY INSTEAD. MAYBE THIS COULD HELP SOMEONE ELSE OUT WITH THEIR PROBLEM. THAT IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR ISN'T IT?

SORRY FOR YOU MIS-UNDERSTANDING THE MEANING.

KENTEC :p

i have this same problem also with my 03 limited. i noticed one round spot where the paint raised. it wwas also on the right side. i got this truck a week now from a private dealer and the truck has 80K on it. do u think i can take this to a forddealer and get it painted for free?

I had an Early 90's Ranger that did the same thing in less that 35K mi. I fought with ford for as longas I could before they got a little crass with me. I've heard a number of reasons why that happened from the paint thickness being too thin to reflect UV to the factory didn't let the primer/sealer setup completely before they shot the final coat. Either way I think you're forced to paint the hood at your expense. Or you could do what I did; nickname the truck "chip" and live with it.

Back