Painting my X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting my X

I have narrowed down my choices for paint to 2 different specific colors. One I know I can get from PPG because I found it listed with a PPG code. The other I will be calling about tomorrow.

Both colors are darker than I really want and at one auto body supply store, they told me that I could add flake to make it more metallic and it would lighten it as well. So what I need to know is does the color of the flake matter? I am absolutely going to paint her purple and currently leaning more towards the Harley Davidson "Purple Haze" (custom order color for 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide) and Plum Crazy which is an old Dodge muscle car color. I also know I absolutely want a metallic color. The HD is not metallic at all while the Plum is metallic but not a lot IMO. My youngest brother knows a guy closing his body shop and he has flake in various colors and sizes. He has a deep purple in a micro flake but I wonder if it would darken the paint or have no effect. The guy also has a small amount (couple oz.) of HOK purple candy pearl. My hubby thinks I should go with a pearl in the clear but again, I wonder how the various colors of pearl would change the way the base paint looks.

My goal....I want no one to have any doubt that my X is purple. I want to walk out of a store and not wonder where I parked. And I want to have something to be proud of. I will also be doing some airbrush, picked up a kit the other day and I will be calling body shops to see if they have some leftover bits of paint so I can practice the design I will be putting on Trixie. I even bought some fabric paint so I can carry my design over into the interior.

flake of any type, size or color WILL effect the base color.
Your body shop supply house will be able to give you more accurate depiction of the end result.

The PPG guy here told me that adding silver flake will lighten the color, which is what I want to do. I'm glad to know it is simply a matter of knowing how much flake and what size was added so if I ever need to repaint, I can easily get it matched. I'm definitley going with .004 micro flake. Hubby says it gives more sparkle than larger flakes and being smaller, it can be used in a wider variety of guns.

I haven't decided 100% what color to do the prints in, I'r really like to do black so it ties in with the interior but I have yet to see any metallic black airbrush paints. And I will need a small amout of metallic white or maybe pearl for the black & white.

Back