Painting stock bumpers need help/advice! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting stock bumpers need help/advice!

mudbug0426

Reaction score
City, State
Allen, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT V6 OHV 4x4
What I'm wanting to do is paint my stock bumpers black. My explorer is light blue so I have this grey ish blue plastic trim on the top part of the bumpers and chrome on the bottom half.

Now, for the blue plastic trim on the bumpers I should be good with some duplicolor spray paint for plastic, after its been properly cleaned of course. But for the chrome, can I paint directly on top of, or do I need to sand off the chrome, prime and then paint?

And help, suggestions or tips would be great

Chris

if you are going to be painting chrome you will need to scuff it up pretty good with a scotchbright pad when you do your prep work or i would imagine that the paint wont stick. do a search on painting chrome and you will see what im talking about. its doable, just takes a little extra work in prep. good luck!

What I'm wanting to do is paint my stock bumpers black. My explorer is light blue so I have this grey ish blue plastic trim on the top part of the bumpers and chrome on the bottom half.

Now, for the blue plastic trim on the bumpers I should be good with some duplicolor spray paint for plastic, after its been properly cleaned of course. But for the chrome, can I paint directly on top of, or do I need to sand off the chrome, prime and then paint?

And help, suggestions or tips would be great

Chris
My best advice, go to your local auto paint store. Every large town has an auto paint store. They should be happy to answer your questions.

Back