Park Aid Sensors

john193

Reaction score
City, State
Quakertown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Ex XLT w/202 + BLIS
Merry Christmas folks.

I’m having a bit of an issue with the front and rear parking sensors.

A few weeks ago we had a few inches of snow, enough to get the explorer dirty with salt and wet snow. Soon after that the parking sensors stopped working and we would get the message “check park aid” and the system would turn itself off, as evidenced by the illumination of the off light.

I cleaned the bumpers, thinking that was the cause but it made no difference. The next day I was able to completely wash the car and still kept getting the error message. So I finally made an appointment for after Christmas, but wouldn’t you know it, it started working on it’s own a few days later.

Anyone else experience this? I’m wondering if I should chalk this up as a fluke and cancel my appointment.

Merry Christmas John and hope the New Year is good to you and yours. I've driven through plenty of snow and slush with my 2011, 2014 MKT and 2017 and don't recall ever receiving any kind of warning about any sensors and I don't wash the vehicle during the Winter. I guess if you actually had snow/ice stuck on the sensor you may get an alarm but you cleared that and they still didn't work. I don't know if that warning message would have created and stored an error code. If not, I doubt the dealer can do anything especially now that it is working again. After re-reading your post again, I'm wondering if there wasn't a system fault since it turned itself OFF. If it was just due to dirty sensors, I doubt it would do that. I would think that it would also be somewhat unlikely that both front and rear would be affect by sensors being blocked at the same time.

Peter

John 193. That is normal and will happen when sensor get snow or ice built on them. I have also gotten the Collision warning sensor fail when snow builds on it.

John 193. That is normal and will happen when sensor get snow or ice built on them. I have also gotten the Collision warning sensor fail when snow builds on it.
But he mentioned he washed the vehicle and still had the problem for a few days.

Back