parked it last night now she wont start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

parked it last night now she wont start

Let's be very clear at what you are seeing and saying. The check engine light is on when you turn the key to "on". Leave it there for a minute (or longer). The light should stay on. This is GOOD. Now, turn the key and try and start the engine and watch the light VERY CAREFULLY.... after a few "seconds" of cranking, the light will go off.... IF it doesn't, then you have a problem as this is NOT GOOD. As for your "observations" about the light... for other vehicles, it might be correct, but not for FORD.... check it very carefully.

ok bud heres the verdict...i turn the key to the on position and let it sit for a while...check engine light stays on...i try and start the motor and let it crank for a few seconds...the check engine light stays solid...dosnt dim and dosnt blink...just a solid light

OK... that's clear... thanks. I think this is your issue. The light should go out "eventually" when the PCM detects a "timing signal" coming from the crank sensor... telling the PCM that the motor is turning and that is can then "derive" a "true timing signal" to fire your plugs. Since it isn't getting one, it leaves the CEL on. Check the connector on the sensor to make sure it is well seated, maybe try cleaning contacts. My guess is the sensor is bad or needs cleaning (not sure of the success rate of cleaning). There are lots of posts about Ckp sensor "stuff".... might be some help in these in terms of replacement / cleaning.

ok so i went to check the ckp sensor with the volt meter and i had trouble finding exactly where the sensor is...my repair manual only shows the sohc and 5.0 motors...can anybody tell me if this is the correct sensor... **UPDATE** got back from testing that wire and it put out 1.5 just like it is supposed to...i also checked the sensor itself and the ac voltage didnt fluxuate while cranking the motor so im guessing the sensor is bad...correct?

plug.jpg

Back