99 OHV sat for 1 day now it wont start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 OHV sat for 1 day now it wont start

gettinwet

Reaction score
City, State
West Palm Beach Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
Engine cranks wont fire. 2 weeks ago I replaced the coil pack plugs and wires. I have the 171 174 lean codes. Uppers gaskets are leaking, new ones on the way. This thing has been running like a sewing machine with the new plugs and such. New fuel filter 3 months ago. What I have checked so far. 1.I can hear the fuel pump when key turned to on. 2. Pulled plugs. plugs damp AND there is spark. (don't get that one) 3. I have checked inertia switch. 4. I didnt have any starting fluid but I had throttle body cleaner. I sprayed it in the intake and it tries to fire but won't.

It ran great Saturday evening. We didnt go anywhere yesterday. Wife went to leave for work this morning and found this. I appreciate any suggestins.

Doug

***UPDATE***
I messed with it some more. I relieved the fuel pressure at the schrader valve then cranked it over and pressure built back up. (How much pressure I dont know) After reading another thread I tapped on the crank sensor. still nothing. I forgot to mention a friend that is a FORD mechanic did a compression check before I changed the coil pack a couple weeks ago and said everything was good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did some more reading on here about ckp sensor. While the engine is cranking the CEL goes out untill I stop cranking then it comes back on. That rules out CKP right?

Hi, you might want to clean the IAC just in case since it's super easy. That's probably not be your issue, but it won't hurt. I had your symptoms a while back and I know how annoyed you probably are right now with it! Wish I could tell you what actually fixed mine - I did everything you did above, plus replaced Crank sensor and Camshaft sensor. Then I loaded it onto a flatbed, and a few hours later it started and hasn't quit since.

Thanks for the suggestions. Before I replaced the coil etc.. a couple weeks ago I cleaned the MAF and IAC. I am on my way out the door to get a pressure gauge to test the fuel pressure. Thanks again.

Just checked the fuel pressure. About 65psi while cranking. I was sure it was going to be low. ARRRGGGGG!!! back to the search engine.

Thanks street rod. checked the theft light it stays on solid. I am on the way out the door to do your tps test

***Results***
With the key in the ON position I have about .5 volts. When the pedal is depressed it only goes up tp 2.8 volts. I am going to change the battery in my multimeter and try again but we may have a culprit

New Battery in the multimeter. same result. .5 volts at idle (by my Haynes Manual is ok it calls for .5 to 1.5) and at WOT I am only getting 2.3-2.5v. With the idle voltage ok wouldn't it still start?

low TPS output

If your key is recognized as valid then when you turn it to ON the THEFT should illuminate steady for 3 to 5 seconds and then not illuminate at all.

When measuring the TPS voltage are you connecting the negative probe to ground or to the return wire? The voltage will be different if you're using ground because the return line does not go directly to ground. The return line is routed to a pin on the PCM. The voltages you measured are significantly less than most. I've never heard of a closed throttle value less than 0.9 volts. Also, your WOT value is very low. Check the reference voltage from the PCM by moving the positive probe to the 3rd wire. It should be 5.0 volts or more. The reference voltage is applied to the DPFE and the fuel tank pressure sensor.

ok checked it again.

The Theft light functions as you described.

I got a fluke DMM and checked the TPS again. closed I got .9 volts Wide open I got 4.0 volts and 5.0 between the 3rd wire.

I also re tested the fuel pressure. with the key in the on position I get 60 psi when we try to crank it jumps to 65 psi. Is it possible that the fuel pump is pumping enough pressure but not enough volume? I guess I am grasping at straws now.

If your not sure of volume, do a volume test while cranking, just don't go crazy, you should be pumping 1/2 pint in 15 seconds. Also you said the plugs were damp, are they possible too wet, have you flooded it?

23950110130_small.jpg

- Jake

I just had the negative battery cable unplugged for about 30 min that should be enough for a reset right? Still no go. If it was flooded wouldn't it evaporate away after sitting for several hours? I guess in the morning I will pull all the plugs and double check them and try the volume test. I think volume will be ok judging by how much sprays out of the schrader valve when we crank it. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Check coils, plugs & wires

The next step in my Engine No Start Procedure is to check the ignition coil, plugs and wires. I know that you said you replaced the coil pack, plugs and wires two weeks ago but any one of them could have just failed. Do you have one of those inexpensive ignition test lights? A boot connection could have separated from a wire. A plug could have stopped firing. Some members have had problems with Bosch platinum plugs failing in a few weeks.

Since you have fuel pressure if you have spark to all cylinders try:
1. Turn the ignition switch to On with throttle closed
2. Depress the accelerator all the way to the floor
3. Turn the ignition switch to Start

The above notifies the PCM that the engine is flooded and it responds accordingly.

I really appreciate all the help you guys are throwing my way. I do not have a test light but will pick one up on the way home from work tomorrow. After plinkin with it a bit this evening I noticed after I would stop cranking I could smell fuel for a few seconds. makes me think I might have an ignition problem after all. we'll see. I was going to pull all the plugs tomorrow but I'll get the inline tool and see whats up. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Well I got her going. I had a grueling day at work and am exhausted. I do not want to bore you guys with a long winded story so.... After picking up an inline spark tester I discovered my 2 week old coil was faulty. It was sparking but quite weak. Thank goodness they had another Motorcraft in stock. I put the new one and she fired right off. Thank you all for your suggestions, and thank you 2000streetrod for suggesting the test light. I would no doubt still be out there scratching my head.

Back