Part number for A pillar appliqué with spotlight cutout | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Part number for A pillar appliqué with spotlight cutout

seatflipper

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 FPIU
Have to replace my FPIU’s windshield for the second time in a year. First time around, the Safelite guy managed to not break the original plastic appliqué and reused it with the spotlight cutout. He gave me the replacement one he had planned to use, and I eventually got the Unity templates and cut it but things fell apart in the home stretch and I had to throw it out.

So, I need to get my windshield replaced and will be at the mercy of what part Safelite orders, since I don’t think my appliqué will survive being pulled off again as it got a small crack going back on that has spread.

Is there a separate part number for the driver’s side appliqué and bracket with spotlight cutout? If there is I would love to give Safelite that beforehand, as obviously the part they pulled with the VIN didn’t account for the spotlight cutout.

I have to imagine FPIUs with spotlights need windshield replacements on a daily basis across the country. I further imagine that they don’t have to cut the piece every time or remove the spotlight and take the car back to the upfitter after to have the spotlight reinstalled.

I’ve called or written a dozen junkyards in reference to the part, but everyone either says it’s been sold already or they’re unable to pull it (too scared to pull it and possibly break it).

Please help!

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply. Since the spotlight is a factory option, I can’t imagine they manually go through it on every car, which leaves me clinging to hope. Just as Whelen light and siren components have Ford part numbers if they’re part of ready for the road, surely there must be a number for that factory part and replacing windshields on cars on the road? Would’ve been so much easier if Ford had made the spotlight an integral body part like the CVPI, FPIS, Tahoe, Charger, Caprice, etc...

There are some pics posted here and there online of the spotlight install process. IIRC, they are a manual process for every vehicle that gets one. The replacement trim would need to be cut/drilled.

Well, then I’m sure I and every PD fleet manager would love to have a word with Ford’s engineers re: their decision to 1. require this complicated process to attach the spotlight and 2. simultaneously not provide an OEM replacement part for a part which is both costly and high-risk to modify to support an OEM option while essentially guaranteeing it will break when the windshield gets replaced.

Flipping ridiculous.

Well, then I’m sure I and every PD fleet manager would love to have a word with Ford’s engineers re: their decision to 1. require this complicated process to attach the spotlight and 2. simultaneously not provide an OEM replacement part for a part which is both costly and high-risk to modify to support an OEM option while essentially guaranteeing it will break when the windshield gets replaced.

Flipping ridiculous.
pd and other fleet managers generally don't care about what is considered "normal wear and tear". If the piece cracks, they may replace it or they may just silicone it and move on. Just my experience, but not a big deal for them to buy the replacement trim and cut a hole if necessary. I'm sure windshield replacement shops that service pd fleets are also well aware of how to do it after all these years of doing it.

FYI - those trim pieces are not PIU specific - you'd have to cut the opening yourself - Unity has instructions on their website - it's not easy but can be done. I am about to get this done on mine as I replaced both sides due to cracking

Back