PCM Problems! Fuse keeps blowing

gunnergrant

Reaction score
City, State
Prescott, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer SOHC 4.0
SOHC Frustrations!

Here we go again, heads go finished everything is ready to go and I go to turn the key and...no fuel... long story short I'm 99% sure my PCM is not getting power because I dont hear the normal sounds under the hood when key is set to on and my CEL doesnt light up, and my theft light flashes faster. God damnit!

Is it possible to accidentally wipe the PCM of its coding? I pulled the fuel pump relay and it was out when I dissembled everything so I could take the fuel lines off without soaking myself in gas. Now I am just hearing a loud click in the engine bay fuse box when I turn the key.

I read 2000StreetRod's post about this and have had no luck. Maybe I need a whole new PCM?

2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 194,700 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok narrowed it down to the 30amp PCM fuse that's in the fuse box in the engine bay. It keeps blowing the second I turn the key to on. It's done it to 3 in a row. Anyone have any clues?

fuse

I will look up a wiring diagram and post back with whats on the circuit that's blowing fuses, then you can search the wiring to see where the problem is.
be right back.

Fuse 10

If it is fuse 10 in the Battery Junction Box Under the hood....
Evap purge valve, PCM, injectors, IAC valve, MAF, Fuel Pump Relay, and fuse 13 in the Battery Junction Box.
Probably a pinched wire?

Alright sweet. Looks like I need to do some digging under the hood!

Solved! Pulled the intake off and found the hot side of the injector 5 wiring was pinched and grounded. Fixed that and boom, first startup with the newly built engine, and its puuuurrrrssssssssss

fuse

Great Job!:thumbsup:
Now break that engine in and get that supercharger on!:D

Welp, I'm losing my patience with this truck. 412 miles into the new rebuild and my driver's side timing chain jumps off the sprocket and snaps. What, the F***!!!!!!

It was a new chain with a new guide.

I am hopefully picking up an 06' Expedition this week because I need to have another vehicle while this POS keeps having issues and being my money pit.

UGH! CURSE YOU SOHC!

a run of bad luck

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck with your SOHC V6. As I recall you found a bent exhaust valve in cylinder #2 and were going to take the heads to a shop for resurfacing and a valve job. Now since your driver side timing chain has broken the valves in it are probably damaged.

Did you use a Ford OEM cassette and hydraulic tensioner or aftermarket ones? Some of the hydraulic tensioners in the cheap aftermarket kits are defective. The piston seizes in the cylinder. If it seizes in a retracted position the chain is too loose and can slip. If it seizes in the extended position the chain will be too tight and the guide assembly will break. I recommend manually checking the hydraulic tensioners for free piston movement and weak springs before installation.

Back