PCV Valve Code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCV Valve Code

I have an 02 Sport Trac the PCV code came on I replaced the valve cleared the code but comes back

• Any ideas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Need help

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

02blkTrac

Reaction score
City, State
Schuyler Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
I have a 02 Sport Trac had a PCV code come up replaced the valve cleared the code and it keeps coming back on any thought to this would be helpful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's not a PCV code. It's a lean code (un-monitored air) getting into the engine, or not enough fuel. This code can be caused by a leaking vacuum line (including the PCV hoses). P0174 is saying the problem is effecting the driver's side (left) side of the engine.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0174

You need to check every vacuum hose to find the leak. The easiest way to do this is with a smoke test.

If you had the Job 1 engine I'd also be thinking about replacing the upper and lower intake gaskets, but the '02 would have the Job 2 intake design, which is less likely to leak because the gaskets are significantly thicker and fewer.

You might also want to clean your MAF Sensor, especially if you use an oiled air filter.

05 explorer code 171n 174 replace pcv valve,replace egr valve because diafragma have a leak ,new intec o rings can’t find any leaks n after I drive for about 20 miles I stop n start idle up n down for about 30seconts runs good

Thank you for the input

O2blk.... Have you check the PCV system rubber elbow that connects to the intake for deterioration? Its very hard to see and even harder to inspect for "rot'. A none problem with higher mileage engines.

I had the same issue with mine changed the valve code came back couldn't find any leaks so I cleaned the MAF cleared the code and has not been back since

Back