• Register Today It's free!

Performance Chips and Programers

Leucoandro

Reaction score
City, State
Jonesboro, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
Hello Everyone I have recently taken some interest in Performance computer components for my Explorer, so I searched around on here and didnt find too much in regards to Brands of Performance chips for Explorers. I did see about the Jet, which I understand sucks, and then there is also the superchip and Hypertech Chips. I have also found a brand of Chip called the Diablosport Chip that is $209, from reading about it, it seems really awsome, and you can even get softwear so that you can personally program it. Also you can have different settings on the Chip the delta for about $325 base. You can read some about it at www.diablosport.com. Also dynosources makes a chip for the explorer, although I dont know much about it other than it costs $345.
I also called my local Performance Truck store, and they said that they can get me a HyperTech Programer for my Explorer. I asked them if they were sure because I hadnt found any info about it online or anywhere, but they said that there book shows that they can get one for the Ford Explorer 4.0L they priced me at $350 for it.
I am still not sure about the hypertech programer though I would have to see it in there cataloge before I really believe that they can get the right programer.
Anyways hope this helps the performance buffs out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Leucoandro
, it seems really awsome, and you can even get softwear so that you can personally program it.

Also you can have different settings on the Chip the delta for about $325 base. You can read some about it at www.diablosport.com.
it.

I am still not sure about the hypertech programer though

The Diablo program is not available yet, darn it....

I have never heard of the "delta" and could not find it on their website, please share more about iy.

Hypertech does not have the programer for the 4.0 SOHC.

Go to this site for the Diablosport Chips

Dead Link Removed

>>I have never heard of the "delta" and could not find it on their website, please share more about iy. <<

See nada about this "model"????????????

just follow the link in my second post (link named Diablo sport Chip) or go to www.motorhaven.com and follow the links till you get to the chip

Originally posted by Leucoandro
just follow the link in my second post (link named Diablo sport Chip) or go to www.motorhaven.com and follow the links till you get to the chip

Found it, thanks a lot for your help.

This Delta sounds just like what I want.....

Anyone using it?

That does look like a cool chip. I want one.:D

"For gas engines, you have the option of an 87 octane performance program and a 91+ octane performance program."

gotta love that!! although i am sure that performance suffers with the 87 octane model.

Originally posted by Mp3SUV
[Bgotta love that!! although i am sure that performance suffers with the 87 octane model. [/B]

It will be pretty much like stock except better shifting tranny.

OK I called back my local truck store today and they said they called hyper tech and they do make an Explorer 4.0L programer, but for some reason they just dont advertise that they make it. I have no idea why they dont advertize that they have it though. The store wants $350 for it though.
Doesnt the diablo chip sound awsome. I like where they say that they tune the entire RPM spectrum, not just certain points. they also have a couple other things that interests me, like firming up shift points. I doubt that you will get as good a performance from the 87 oct setting as you would from the 97 oct setting, but I am sure that it would be a fair bit better than stoke, I also bet that it would make towing alot better, and possibly help on some fuel economy

Hypertexh told me via e mail that they do not have one. I really want it; can you get more details on it?

Thanks

Do not get a Hypertech or Jet. If you do, please just give your money to me so I can go waste it. I have had all brands of chips, and have finally stuck with the Diablo Delta. Motorhaven.com is run by Ken Payne of Ford-Trucks.com. I got mine from him. Even though I don't run the dual programming in the 87 setting because of the Eaton s/c, it is a nice setup on my Dad's Ranger. Flip of the switch, and you can do what you want...

Superchips and Diablo are the only chips you can get to raise your speed limiter past 108mpg also...

So which is better, Diablo or superchip. The basic Diablo Performance chip is on sale for only $190. If that is the better one I'm gonna get one right now.

Cobra XP
I agree with you on the HyperTech Chip, from what I heard the chip isnt worth expence, although the chip might help with shifting and other minor things. But what I am talking about is the Hypertech Programing Tuner and I was thinking it was pretty good.
A friend of mine with a Chevy 1/2 P/U and he used a hypertech tuner on it and he has been very pleased with the Improvements that it has made to his truck.
On the Diablo Chip I like what I have read about it on the Diablosport website, but I was searching around the net the other day and I found a post in forum in at some other website where a person was downraiting the Diablo Chip. He said that he has gone threw 3 of them. He said every time it left him in the middle of nowhere, his F-150 would die and he couldnt get it to start back up. What is your opinion of reliability of the diablosport chip. I would hate to be offroading and my chip go out and have me stuck there. Would my truck still be able to run if the diablosport went out, just revert back to factory code or something?
Aldive
all I know is that I called an Aftermarket Truck Place in my town (Russels) and asked them if they had any performance Computer EQ for the Ford explorer V6 4.0 OHV. They said that they called HyperTech and Hypertech said they make a programer (tuner) for that Particular app, but that they dont advertise it. I asked Russels they were sure that it was for the 4.0L and not some other liter engine. Russels was not sure however if it worked for both the OHV and the SOHC but they figured that it was. Russels also said that the programer was for either 98 and older explorers or pre 98 explorers, I cant remember which. Russels number is 870-910-6593. If you find out anything different post it :).

Basically here is where I am now. I am looking at the Diablosport chip, probibly tuned for 89 Oct. (in the middle I might be able to get by using 87 oct, and not have to worry about premature ignition. Other than that just get the chip as normal tweeking my RPM curve, raising my RPM shift, and firming up my shift.(what is the difference between raising RPM shift and firming the shift?) Or a Hypertech Programer. If I go with the Diablosport chip I am looking at about $209 (Probibly the best quality chip out there, from what I have read I put it above superchip) or a Hypertech Programer that probibly wouldnt do as much for my RPM curve as the diablo, but I have the option of changing my programing at any time, plus I can keep the factory chip. (then if I have some problems in the field I can carry the programer with me and can easily restore stock settings.)
What does everyone Else think?

ahhjaws Where did you look to find the Basic diablosport chip for $190 the cheepest I have seen it is at the Motorhaven website for $209?

I went to the prices and for the price of the Diablo Performance it says

Minimum Allowable
Advertised Price
For our price, call 770-923-3764
(9am - 5pm EST)
229.50 (with line though)
Click Here For Instant
Price Quote

I clicked that and they sent an e-mail to me.

This is it:
Thank you for inquiring about our pricing on Diablo Sport
performance chips.

For answers to frequently asked questions about Diablo Sport
and Superchips performance chips see:

Dead Link Removed

$190.00 1986 - 1994 Diablo Performance chip for Ford car,
truck, SUV and van with gasoline engine.

$209.00 1995 - 2003 Diablo Performance chip for Ford car,
truck, SUV and van with gasoline engine except V10.

$235.00 Diablo Performance chip Ford F-Series with V-10 Engine

$315.00 54 HP Diablo Performance For Powerstroke Diesel Engine

$315.00 78 HP Diablo Performance For Powerstroke Diesel Engine

$232.00 Diablo Delta chip for gasoline engines except V10
Switchable chip which holds 1 stock program, 1
performance program

$325.50 87 / 92+ Octane Diablo Delta chip for gasoline engines
except V10. Three modes: Stock, 87 octane performance
program and 92+ octane performance program

$355.00 Performance Program plus Custom Program Diablo Delta
chip for gasoline engines except V10. Three modes: Stock,
Performance program and a Custom program made specifically
for your vehicle's modifications.

$395.00 Two Custom Programs Diablo Delta chip for gasoline engines
except V10. Three modes: Stock, custom program one and
custom program two, both made specifically for your vehicle's
modifications.

$333.49 54 HP / 78 HP Diablo Delta Chip Ford F-Series/ E-Series with
Powerstroke Diesel Engine. Three modes of operation: Stock,
54 HP Standard Performance, 78 HP High Performance

$255.00 One program Diablo Delta chip for V10. Two modes: Stock and
Performance

$355.00 87 / 92+ Octane dual program Diablo Delta chip for V10
Three modes: Stock, 87 octane performance program and 92+
octane performance program

$355.00 92+ Octane plus Custom Program Diablo Delta chip for V10
Three modes: Stock, 92+ octane performance program and a
custom program made specifically for your vehicle's
modifications

$415.00 Two Custom Programs Diablo Delta chip for gasoline engines
Three modes: Stock, 92+ custom performance program one and
custom performance program two, both made specifically for
your vehicle's modifications.

$ 32.00 Kill Switch For the Diablo Delta
A kill switch controlled by a key and lock type switch.
When enabled, the vehicles ECU is put into a “sleep” mode and
will not start, even with the correct PAT’s key.

$ 38.50 LED Program Switch For the Diablo Delta. A lighted toggle
switch that indicates what tune is on by changing color,
green for tune 1, red for tune 2 and off when chip
is in stock mode.

*The Delta chip includes an non-LED switch with a 5 foot cable.

The Delta chip may be purchased with one program and upgraded to
two at a later date. It comes standard with a switch to switch
between stock and 2 performance programs. The LED switch adds
a multi-color LED to indicate which program you are running.

Even though the online store shows those dollar amounts, when you
add them to your cart you will be charged the discounted price.

Your order is manually charged by our programming staff when the
product ships and your printed receipt received with your order
will reflect the discount price. Or you can call us toll free
at 1-877-399-6417 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm, EST to place your
order).

We are able to offer these low prices because we are one of the
largest volume Diablo dealers. We can provide superior performance
tuning products at a superior price for most Ford, Lincoln and
Mercury vehicles. We will beat any legitimate nationally advertised
price by an authorized Diablo Sport dealer.

For answers to frequently asked questions about Diablo Sport
and Superchips performance chips see:

Dead Link Removed

I guess the earlier models are cheaper.

So do you think I should go with that?

I have not tried the Hypertech tuner because of the bad experience with them last time. I never had a problem with the Superchips, but because of their pricing on reprogramming, and their attitude towards it, I elected to go with Diablo. Haven't had the first bit of trouble with it yet. I imagine you would want to make sure you have the chip secure when off-roading hard. If it comes loose, it could be causing the problems of cutting out, etc....

Back