• Register Today It's free!

PFE sensor and Gaskets

PatrickH82

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4
Yesterday my X's check engine light came on and as the day progressed its conditioned worsened :( I took it to the shop so they could run a diagnostic on it, they said that the PFE sensor that controls the EGR valve went out, the hose that connects to the PFE busted and the gaskets that are in the upper intake (i think) between the cenclum and fuel rails were blown. They want to charge me 350+ to fix it. My questions are: Is this price resonable? and What causes something like this to happen? My poor X. :mad:

Well, I know some PFE sensors that Ford put out are/were aluminum and when they sit next to the exhaust, they basically fry themselves. The heat gets to them and makes them act funny. A lot of time the PFE sensor is the problem in EGR flow/DTCs. The price, sounds ligit from my point of view, but I have no idea what parts cost. I just put them on. Good luck.

-Drew

they are quoting you on replacing a 60 dollar sensor that is fairly easy to replace once you find it (two hoses and a electrical plug) it also appears that they want to replace your intake gaskets... i dont know how intensive that is (if you have the tools and time i would do it myself) but if that includes. but it would involve removing the intake plenum and replacing it.... 350 including parts doesnt sound too bad... replacing just that sensor should take care of your check engine light. someone else might be able to shed some light on the intake gaskets.

Back