• Register Today It's free!

PIU Bluetooth Forscan Mod

DeputyDuck

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer
Hey y'all, first post here so hopefully I'm in the right place. I'm doing fleet work for my guys and my agency has used PIU explorers from local law enforcement. The majority come from the same agency. Most of our Explorer/PIU vehicles have Bluetooth capability enabled. However a couple of the recent ones--both post-2016 face lift with the LED lights and whatnot (so I know it should be standard) do not have Bluetooth for the phone or media. The equipment is there, the mic is in the ceiling, and other vehicles in this same age range from the agency have it. These ones just do not.

Is this something I can fix with programing via Forscan to enable, or how would I need to go about getting the Bluetooth module enabled on these vehicles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think it's as simple as Forscan. If memory serves, if the vehicle doesn't have the Bluetooth..it doesn't have SYNC. SYNC is a separate module that would not be present...and not easy to add. I believe the only option, which isn't bluetooth....is to add the audio input jack.
I'm willing to bet that the same headliner is in every unit, hence the microphone. SYNC, Bluetooth weren't standard equipment..but an option.

Hey y'all, first post here so hopefully I'm in the right place. I'm doing fleet work for my guys and my agency has used PIU explorers from local law enforcement. The majority come from the same agency. Most of our Explorer/PIU vehicles have Bluetooth capability enabled. However a couple of the recent ones--both post-2016 face lift with the LED lights and whatnot (so I know it should be standard) do not have Bluetooth for the phone or media. The equipment is there, the mic is in the ceiling, and other vehicles in this same age range from the agency have it. These ones just do not.

Is this something I can fix with programing via Forscan to enable, or how would I need to go about getting the Bluetooth module enabled on these vehicles?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Love the name! :D

Peter

I don't think it's as simple as Forscan. If memory serves, if the vehicle doesn't have the Bluetooth..it doesn't have SYNC. SYNC is a separate module that would not be present...and not easy to add. I believe the only option, which isn't bluetooth....is to add the audio input jack.
I'm willing to bet that the same headliner is in every unit, hence the microphone. SYNC, Bluetooth weren't standard equipment..but an option.
Would there be a way to verify if they do not have Sync or if the option was not included? Or any way to remedy the situation?

Would there be a way to verify if they do not have Sync or if the option was not included? Or any way to remedy the situation?
If the vehicle has the USB port and audio input lower in the center stack..is has SYNC. If these aren't present...no SYNC..

2022-07-1108.07.314580018853894990035.jpg
If these are the buttons on the steering wheel, you don't have SYNC.

Back