• Register Today It's free!

PIU Engine Idle install success

2mals

Reaction score
City, State
Hollywood, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford PIU
First posting on this site and thought I’d share some success. Recently purchased a 2017 PIU from an auction but did not have Engine Idle switch installed. With the help of posts here and other sites I was able to get the panel with bezel and the Police Engine Idle switch.

It did require IDS (VXDiag Nano) to activate but with FORSCAN was able to enable the feature.

For anyone looking to add this feature, it is possible. Need the panel to hold the switch, engine idle switch (HB5Z-13D730-AA). Purchased at Ford dealership for less than $60. After connecting the switch, enable the feature in FORSCAN, Then activate in IDS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VXDiag Nano is able to use IDS? Would you be able to program keyfobs with it as well? I'd like to know more about the process and where you purchased yours.

VXDiag Nano is able to use IDS? Would you be able to program keyfobs with it as well? I'd like to know more about the process and where you purchased yours.
Correct. Make sure you research how it works. Use at your own risk. I wouldn’t recommend using it on a computer for anything else since the potential for viruses is high. But yes, you can use IDS and program key fobs with it. Can be purchased on Amazon. Make sure to get the one for Ford/Mazda. Follow the install instructions on their website. Can be a pain getting to work, but works great once running.

Thank you for the information. Do you have the part number for the bezel that holds the switch?

Thank you for the information. Do you have the part number for the bezel that holds the switch?
To be honest I searched on eBay for Explorer Headlight switch panel bezel. There are a bunch there with different part numbers. Think it mainly has to do with the Model Trim but they all look identical.

First posting on this site and thought I’d share some success. Recently purchased a 2017 PIU from an auction but did not have Engine Idle switch installed. With the help of posts here and other sites I was able to get the panel with bezel and the Police Engine Idle switch.

It did require IDS (VXDiag Nano) to activate but with FORSCAN was able to enable the feature.

For anyone looking to add this feature, it is possible. Need the panel to hold the switch, engine idle switch (HB5Z-13D730-AA). Purchased at Ford dealership for less than $60. After connecting the switch, enable the feature in FORSCAN, Then activate in IDS.
Is there a factory Ford "Secure Idle" switch for the 2015 Police Interceptor Utility?

Is there a factory Ford "Secure Idle" switch for the 2015 Police Interceptor Utility?

Yes, Police Engine Idle Feature

This is from the 2020 owners manual, but is exactly the same in the previous models.

I can't find a part # right now for some reason, but I have seen them around before.

Until I get around to getting remote start working, I have found it great for warming up the truck on those icy mornings and not worrying about someone driving off with my truck while I am inside getting my coffee ready to hit the road to work

Yes, Police Engine Idle Feature

This is from the 2020 owners manual, but is exactly the same in the previous models.

I can't find a part # right now for some reason, but I have seen them around before.

Until I get around to getting remote start working, I have found it great for warming up the truck on those icy mornings and not worrying about someone driving off with my truck while I am inside getting my coffee ready to hit the road to work
Would the harness and everything be there and it'd be a plug and play solution?

Would the harness and everything be there and it'd be a plug and play solution?

Sorry Fruztal, I am unable to speak to that as my truck came with PEIF (since every other option/feature seems to have a snazzy acronym, why not the engine idle...) from the factory

Sorry Fruztal, I am unable to speak to that as my truck came with PEIF (since every other option/feature seems to have a snazzy acronym, why not the engine idle...) from the factory
I've got an aftermarket solution with my remote start system from 12 volt solutions. I can activate the remote start and remove the key and it'll do the exact thing as factory functionality would've done.

Back